What Did You Do to Your 6 Today? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 11:58 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMWLV is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question What Did You Do to Your 6 Today?

Post up if you improved (or not) your 6 Series today. I clayed the paint and looked up cool air induction systems and performance chips. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Welcome to the Werkz

Good luck with the upgrades and enjoy your time here at the Werkz
#3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 11:51 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Ordered an aFe cold air induction system all-in with shipping @303.00. Back ordered 2 weeks for the oiled version. I ordered a K&N filter for now. Also ordered an SLS chip. That's why I didn't want to wait for the CAI system. Very interested to see if the chip smooths out the fly-by-wire throttle. If not, ordering the Sprint Booster module.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Used Lexol on the leather and it made a hugh difference. The leather seemed stiff before but now it has much better elasticity. Added the K&N filter. Received the SLR chip in the mail but now I need to ID the correct wires in the MAF sensor. Looking at wheel/tire options...
#5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Going to try cleaning the MAF sensor for a better throttle repsonse. My secure torx bits don't fit it though. The inner stem on the bolt head is bigger than the hole in my bit. Will try and find a different one. Got the cold air induction system. Seems straight forward and hope to install it this weekend.
Lots of brake dust production on these things! Not fun if you are a stickler about clean wheels. Any aftermarket wheel decisions will be influenced somewhat by how easy they are to clean. I'm still amazed the previous owner thought it was a good idea to buy non-run flat tires for a car that has no spare!!!
#6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
Sounds like you are doing a good bit recently. Welcome to the Werkz! I doubt you will get many others chiming in here about their 6er since the active users with a 6 Series other than yourself is probably about 0. Please, do keep updating us though, and post up some pictures- we would all love to see your ride.

Kai

#7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Kai. The good news is that my posts stay up on the 1st page!!! I can't leave anything stock so there will be more to come. Hope it helps others that are thinking about biting the aftermarket bullet.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
That is a great way to look at it. Maybe some 6 owners will google some stuff and come across your thread here and we will get a little user base of 6ers, that would be great! Keep the updates coming.

#9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 06:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Scored a set of take-offs from the dealership!! 2010 5 spoke mags with the two tone finish. Included the Bridgestone Potenza run flats with barely any wear so that issue is solved. These wheels look much easier to clean. Hope to mount them in the morning.
#10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
Nice! Do you like the look better or not?

#11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I'll know better tomorrow when I put them on. 19" s/b an improvement over the 18's. I liked the wheels on the 6 in the showroom. They look much easier to clean and the dark silver color on the inner wheel should keep the brake dust from being so noticable if they are a bit dirty. If the polished silver and dark silver colors are an issue with the color of the car, I'll have them black chromed.
#12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck.

#13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:54 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Here it is with half the wheels and tires done so you can decide for yourself which you like. The other shot is the afm cold air induction. Great instructions! If you can change the filter on the current unit as well as use a screwdiver with a couple of different tips, you can do this. There were a couple of things they left unsaid to some extent. Put the stock bolt back in the front air tunnel that connected to the stock airbox. Put a nut at the bottom of the new vertical black sheet metal where the rubber piece was under the stock unit. Also, clean the area that becomes your new twice as big air cavity. It erased any hesitation or stuttering at idle or under braking. Sounds good inside the car too. It seems more responsive and quicker to accelerate. On the wheels, I had to clean the hubs and calipers since they now show. I used wheel cleaner and Never Dull. There is a place on the way to work that advertises painting calipers. I may drop it off to make those look better. No Brembo red,just gloss black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 001.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	29224   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 003.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	29225  
#14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Not sure which wheels I like best, both are nice. Sweet car; how about a shot with the top down?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
I think I am partial to the 5 spoke on the 6 series. I am getting some 18" 20 spoke from PA tomorrow and I am hoping I will like the look on the E39. But I really like the 5 spoke on your car. +1 on top down pics soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper