Water Jacket Replacement... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
laea2008 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Water Jacket Replacement...

My 2002 745i (70K miles), started leaking coolant. Initially it was mild and now I have to put a gallon in every other day. The trail of coolant leaking is down my driveway is quite evident! I took her into the shop today and when he called me back the first thing he said was "are you sitting down?" Now as a female when a mechanic says things like that to you a little red flag goes off in your head! He told me it was going to be $2400 to fix it. Does that seem a little steep to anyone? I believe I am most concerned with the fact that he couldn't tell me how much labor it would take and then he said that the actual part was $600. I am assuming that another $200 is miscellaneous parts, so that leaves me with $1600 in labor!? This is not the dealership rather an authorized repair shop. My question is - do you think his pricing is fare?, are there any ways to lessen the blow? I am not going to risk blowing the engine but at $2400 she will be parked for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:52 PM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
i don't understand this at all!

... water jackets never get replaced because they ARE part and parcel of the engine block. Water jacket by definition is the hollow between the cylinder and the external form of the engine block-it is also the space through which your coolant flows to keep the engine temps at an optimum.

...It is the "FREEZE PLUGS" they corrode over time, and it is those that need replacement if and when they rust out.

PRICING... let's say there are 10 of those freeze plugs say at $7.- each(of course you'll need to replace only those that are bad-3 at most at a given time). UNLESS the freeze plug(if it is your problem) is in a very bad place requiring the engine to be brought down, then yes, that price quoted to u is steep.

Last edited by darkhorse737; 07-24-2008 at 03:57 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I had initially thought it might be the valley pan but he said no and started to mumble something about the intake manifold and then he said very specifically - "let me get the paper and tell you exactly what the part is - it's the water jacket" I am going to take it to another mechanic but I do like being informed before going to bat with mechanics.

And here's another thing...he said that he had to take the top half of the engine off which is why the labor cost was going to be painful- not drop the engine? I may be a fool but dropping the engine and taking the top off are two separate things. I have had to drop a tranny for a repair and open the engine up to fix a water pump (two different cars) and just like it sounds one goes up and one goes down...so if it's the freeze plugs why are you opening up the engine?

Last edited by laea2008; 07-24-2008 at 04:04 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
5th Gear Member

Cool

:-) just to rule out the element of doubt. Mechanics use a pressure test to identify coolant leaks. Go to a mech that is willing to do a coolant pressure test for you, and ask him to let you VISUALLY see for yourself where the leak is coming from ;-)

Last edited by darkhorse737; 07-24-2008 at 04:07 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
UPDATED - Water Jacket Replacement...

Thank goodness for this board...

Here is the breakdown...What a joke!

Intake Manifold Colver - 2 @ 43.72 = $87.44
Water Jacket Plugs - 1 @ $600.00 (aka Freeze Plugs which go for about 10/pp!)
BMW Coolant - 4 @ $22.50

Labor...

R&R intake manifold, adjust engine idle speed, clean fule injectors, flush cooling system circuit, renew water jacket plug - $1,440.00

Vehicle has green coolant - flush cooling circuit - $225.00

Hazardous Waste - $3.99

When I took it there 3 months ago he tried to get me to do the cooling system flush for $500? Not to mention he is trying to charge another $225 for flushing the cooling system? Suspect!
#6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Post The Solution...

Armed with my knowledge and gumption I went to pick up Bertha this morning. Long story short once I told him what I had learned/researched/and called around about the ever mysterious "water jacket" he was quick to turn around and put the blame on the dealership. "That's what they told me the part was?" RIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTT?

The owner then came in and I informed him of my concerns that they wanted $600 for a part that doesn't exist? Not to mention all of the other stuff that they had tacked on? Very nice man. He walked me over and pointed out the part that needs replacement and then he pulled the diagram up on the screen and showed me in detail where it was located. He was very understanding of my concerns.

Long story short (too late) the part that needs to be replaced is the CAP WITH SEAL (part# 11147507278) I found a new one on Ebay for $35 + $30 shipping and REALOEM.com guesstimates the price at $78. I am going to try and haggle ooops I mean bargin with my buddy to install for me as it's under the manifold and yes I may be a strong chick but I'm not that strong!

Last edited by laea2008; 07-25-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Solution
#7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:24 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Did the car just go out of warranty? All 2002 model year 745's in the USA came with warranty of 100k miles or 6 years from the in service date, whichever comes 1st.

DT

#8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Fell out of warranty in March! Ugh!
#9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM
5th Gear Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by laea2008 View Post
Fell out of warranty in March! Ugh!
Oh... you poor thing

But i hope your friend can figure that one out. looking at the illustration it would appear that the freeze plug is right out front. shouldn't be too hard.... maybe u won't even have to take out the intake manifold(but dnt quote me on that...) with a little creativity.

Good luck to you... let us know what happens.. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper