Unlocking Trunk or Hood - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jayy781 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Unlocking Trunk or Hood

Ok, so i have 2 issues now...i took out the old battery and closed the trunk then realized i cant get back in without a power source, since my key doesn't seem to work on the trunks locking mechanism. (am i doing this wrong?) i put the key in and it doesn't want to turn either direction. Is there a trunk release inside i can gain access to?

As for my second issue, its my hood release. when i pull the release i dont hear a popping sound like i usually would. i found this link:Bmw 2000: the hood..740i..manually - JustAnswer
i located the hood release cable under the bonnet now im not sure which way to pull to release the locking mech.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
BMW Trunks have a manual trunk release. Turn the key all the way to the right (i believe) as far as it will go and this should unlock the trunk. They thought of this when they put the battery in the trunk. I know this works because my battery has died while in storage before.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
In regards to your hood, i experienced this problem on my E36. Not sure how identical it will be in regards to an E38 but Ill do my best. Is the release latch loose or broken off inside the cab of the car? It is quite common for the hood release catch's to get filled with crud or debris over time and eventually sieze up. This is what happened to mine.

To remove the kidney grilles with a closed fist, hit the centre of the grilles. This will pop them out allowing you to remove the grilles. Look up and see if you can see the hood latch mechanism, and the cable itself. The hood pins have a large recess in them for a large flathead scewdriver or pry bar. You will have to unscrew the hood pins to free them from the catch's.

This is what the catch's look like:

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Finally got my trunk open, but the key does not want to work. I got it to turn, but it does just that,TURN around and around. I don't feel anything as if it were unlocking.
so i resorted to some unorthodox methods and took 2 wire hangers hooked them to the battery terminals through the ski bag cutout and clipped on my jumper cables. it actually powered up the car so i can use the button on the back to open it up.

Got a new battery installed and now the engine wont turn over! im thinking it maybe a frozen fuel line? i haven't started it in quite some time, so not too sure if this could be the issue. When i try and start the car, i hear the starter but it just keeps spinning as if its getting no fuel...any suggestions?
#5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Issue resolved, i added some Heet and another gallon of gas and it started right up. guess the fuel lines were frozen over. now to tackle that hood latch...=/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper