Uneven Front End - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:25 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jrgordie is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Uneven Front End

My driver side front is 1/2" higher than passenger side. I did change the coil springs on both sides and its still is uneven. Is this normal? Any ideas?
1998 740IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
I believe ride height should be measured with the car loaded up with weight equal to two people in the front, one in the back and full tank of gas.

Some variation is ok; im not sure that much should be though. I know on e36, up to 10mm difference is allowed.

#3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:06 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
1/2" is nothing....you have to have these beasts dead level to measure them properly, as use a spirit level on both cills....and front a rear bumper...which is very hard to accomplish unless your work shop floor is spot on, that's the only way you can do it properly...So I would say the half inch difference is due to the car not being spot level, plus the tyre pressures have to be spot on all four wheels and if one of your rear springs is just slightly more worn than the other this will also put out the measurement as these beasts do twist slightly especially around roundabouts and corners...this can be eliminated to a degree by fitting a strut brace across the front suspension towers, but then you will have to have a full lazer wheel alignment undertaken and tracking..

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
btw the proper way to measure is top of the wheel arch to the bottom of the wheel;

#5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
I 2nd ^ that, just to clarify: middle of the arch to the bottom of the outer rim.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper