trunk wont open - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kc740i is on a distinguished road
Exclamation trunk wont open

I just recently had an aftermarket alarm installed on my e38 1995 740i. The door was left cracked after the alarm was installed and it killed the battery overnight. The next day the car was jumpstarted and left to run for about 30 mins to recharge the battery. The car starts fine, but the trunk wont open and the sunroof button doesnt work correctly. I have had a problem with the sunroof before that was fixxed by just resetting the positive battery terminal a few times and it worked again.

I am guessing it has something to do with the computer in the car?
Everything was working fine prior to the battery dieing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated thx!
kc740i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Unfortunately, this might end up being a big problem. Jump-starting cars is hazardous in that it can do some damage to fragile wiring. Relays etc are vulnerable. I'm afraid that your trunk release relay might be toast. I'll pass this trough a few people and see if they can think of a way to get the trunk open...
///Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
I looked into your issue some more and didn't find anything about the trunk actuator, but your sunroof is another story. I've attached a TIS article about customers who have had problems with their sunroof after a dead battery. Print this out and take it with you to the deal to see if this is the issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SI General Module Replace3.pdf (19.4 KB, 167 views)
///Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
how much in parts cost would this run me to fix if its the relay?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
try initializing the sunroof by holding the switch forward for several seconds after the roof is all the way closed.

Make sure you didnt put the trunk in valet mode if you manually opened the trunk when the battery was dead using the key.

I dont think you have a general module issue or a relay issue

DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
it turned out to be the relay ~ thx for the help guys
Old 02-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BIG_POPPA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BIG_POPPA
Make sure you didnt put the trunk in valet mode if you manually opened the trunk when the battery was dead using the key.

thx for that advice, i had some work done to my 740il, and when i got the car back the trunk wouldnt open, with the button on the kick panel. resetting the lock fixed that, thx.
BIG_POPPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper