A ton of fun problems on my '90 735i. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
PaInBeLoW is on a distinguished road
A ton of fun problems on my '90 735i.

I have owned my '90 735i now for two weeks and love it. The a/c needs a charge but no worries right now in TX this time of year anyway. What an awesome car. But Im starting now to track down the issues that plague the car and am looking for some help. I have a light that kicks on for brake linings, can anybody clue me in on where to start to fix that? and then I have an issue with the gas gauge. It's completely useless. It never moves at all whether Im on an empty tank or full tank. Where should I start on that perhaps? I'll just start with those two probs. first!!!
PaInBeLoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
if brake lining intermittantly flashes its almost time for new brake pads. the sensor is starting to trip/drag on the rotor
Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Yep! That's exactly the issue I am having with the light. It is intermittently on and off. The brakes on the car feel fine, but if a brake job is what it takes..... Now for the gas tank issue!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1992 735il..500$ beater
Photos:
kenjh is on a distinguished road
try putting a ground lead from the fuel tank to a good ground point if the gauge moves at all it is just a poor ground problem ,i have fixed several gremlins this way..and fuses.I don't know if any other gauges are effected ,are they?
kenjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for the response. What's a lead exactly? Pardon my ignorance, when it comes to electrical stuff I'm totally not in the know. But it is only the gas gauge though that isnt working.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1992 735il..500$ beater
Photos:
kenjh is on a distinguished road
it's a jumper lead ,a wire with clips at each end to make a temperary connection,you can get them at electronic shops (radio shack)it makes it simple to bypass a swich or connector to check poor grounds or broken wireing that doesn't show up at first glanceif you can reach the fuel sender on the tank and disconect it from the tank connect it to ground with the jumper if the gauge hits full then your sender is at fault the blue/red/ yellow wire should be the gauge senser.
kenjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
I would say its you sender in the tank, might just need the contacts cleaning.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
coolfrod is on a distinguished road
hi i am a noob also. I have a 735i and i whould like to replace the heater core, but don't know how to start to remove the dash board. Can anyone help?
coolfrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I know this has just been a loooong drawn out process but I finally got the car up on stands yesterday to see where some of my issues were coming from because it looked like my car was leaking gas from somewhere too. I found that the top hose with the slight nudge had a tiny pinhole in it that was pushing out gasoline pretty fast when the car was running!!! So Im hoping that by replacing that hose it will take car of some of the gasoline stink I always smell on the car. Couldnt find any other leakage. BUT how do I get thise connector off exactly? I havent seen anything like it and I really dont want to break it but can anybody tell me?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Picture not to sharp, are you talking about the connector on the rubber pipe if so you cut them off with a pair of side cutters or snips and replace with a normal jubilee clip, they are standard BMW hose clips.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
No I was able to get both off and replace those easy I mean the one on the left, how do i approach that with breaking stuff? I cant quite figure it out, and I know that's retarded but...
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Oh, the electrical connector, it should be like all BM connectors of that shape, does it not just ride up and off at one side ? you do have to give it a slight tug.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Gonna try that. Do I need to disconnect it even to pull the pump up out of the tank? Which part of the assembly do i need to focuson inspecting/fixing/replacing since my fuel gauge is not working?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Right here ya go then.....:

BMW E32 - Fuel Sender

Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
very nice. I'll report back if everything comes together nicely!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper