STOP! engine oil pressure? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:19 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kc740i is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
STOP! engine oil pressure?

1995 740i e38 m60

I have had my bmw display come on a few times when starting up the car saying "stop! engine oil pressure" , i used to have this problem when i was running low on oil, as i had a few major leaks that are now fixed. I recently did an oil change using Castrol GTX 10w-40.**The oil level is completely full.** I know i should have taken the pan out for cleaning, since the oil that was in before looked like swamp mud, but due to the time i had, i chose not to (next time i wont make the mistake). This message also comes on when brakeing heavily from high speeds to 10mph or stops. What actually causes this message to happen?(all possible problems)

This may be a stupid question, but do the oil pump bolts affect this problem in any way, as i have read it is a common problem with e38's, having their oil pump bolts loosen over time. I never really understood what the effects of having loose bolts are though, i have only heard that it could really screw up your engine.

Last edited by kc740i; 12-03-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 02:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a pretty common issue. I get it the same way as you, sudden stops. The oil pressure sender reacts very quickly and when the oil is forced forward it thinks that it's low. I highly doubt you've done any damage, but be sure to clean out the pan next time.

As far as the bolts go, I've never heard of that being an issue on an E38.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
n00b

RubenLueras is on a distinguished road
STOP Engine Oil Pressure

I have A 1995 BMW 740il... and Stop engine oil pressure came on and my engine started to make a knocking sound and the Stop engine oil pressure is still on.i read the manuel and it said to turn off engine. so i did and i let it cool then i started it back up and it still said stop engine oil pressure.i have oil its right were it needs to be.
there were two cars racing down the street and one car was in the wrong lane going head to head with me so i turned quickly and stopped and thats when the light came on stop engine oil pressure.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Last edited by RubenLueras; 03-21-2010 at 03:18 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:37 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
You should start a new thread; this is from 2005.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper