still won't start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mherbert is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
still won't start

Ok here is another on going issues since I bought my 840 a couple months ago. A couple weeks ago I noticed that my master key was not working properly, so I changed the battery in the key. I had to intialize it but the key would not still work. Then I tried to start the car and the car would turn over like it wanted to start but wouldn't start. So I take the battery on the drivers side to be checked out and it came back ok. So I took the other battery to be checked out, which by the way was never hooked up. Don't ask...I don't know how the car ran on one battery, I bought the car that way. If any of you have any answers to this, I would like to hear from you. I got the key remote to lock the doors and arm the car. So, now my problem is that the car won't start! I smell gas when I try to crank the car and it has a good trun over ratio...no sputtering. What in the world could it be...Please...I need help!!
Best Regards,
M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:02 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
See my "pm"...
Both batteries are fully charged, right?
Check your fuses located in the engine compartment, driver side. Pull one a time.

There is also a much bigger fuse located by the batteries (check the sides)

LOS

Last edited by LOS; 09-06-2006 at 12:07 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 03:56 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
short tripped

I flooded the car is the final word on this issue. I moved the car less than 5ft. and shut the car off. By moving it that short distance, I did what is called "short tripped" the car, thus flooding it. A BMW tech. told me to pull the fuel pump fuse and have someone try and start the car and then put the fuse back in. I was a little chicken to do that because at that point I didn't want to make a simple problem into a bigger problem. So $180 out the pocket (including towing), and a new main, I'm good to go now.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:39 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

So, how do you like the car so far? Do you have any other issues with it?
Mine is a 95 (#90242)with 101k miles. I bought it about year ago. This car is very heavy. It seems like is underpower. The 97 540i is much faster (lighter).
For hwy driving I like the 840 better though. The brakes on these cars are the BEST!

LOS
#5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
minor problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOS
So, how do you like the car so far? Do you have any other issues with it?
Mine is a 95 (#90242)with 101k miles. I bought it about year ago. This car is very heavy. It seems like is underpower. The 97 540i is much faster (lighter).
For hwy driving I like the 840 better though. The brakes on these cars are the BEST!

LOS
This is my 1st BMW so I can't compair it to any other BMW, but I love the way it drives. I 1st saw the 840ci in a Prince video and I loved the car every since then, I really love it now that I own one. I have minor issues such as I need a relay for headlights so they actual go down when I cut the lights off, it's not a motor issue. One of my horns is missing and I'm guessing that I need a relay for that also because the horn doesn't blow. I also need a relay for my interior lights in the back because they don't work also. I recently drove my car from NJ to DC to TN and back in reverse order and the car drove like a charm!
Best Regards,
M
#6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:39 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

If you're looking for parts, I recommend Gault BMW.... Contact Al Shattuck and tell him you want to register your car with them. They give discounts to E31 drivers. This is the only dealer I know who really has a passion for this model. I believe these guys are in your neighborhood.

1-800-777-5508
AL.SHATTUCK@GAULTAUTO.NET

Happy trails,

LOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper