BMW Werkz banner

SRS Light & Instrument panel woes

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  elytics 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
My 03 Zed4 has about 48.5k miles and is out of warranty since the beginning of this year. The car has been great since i bought it and the minor glitches have been resolved under warranty.

Over the weekend after completing a lane switch on the freeway(this was on 80 East) i switched off my indicator and all hell broke loose. The indicator panel started behaving erratically, the blinker would not turn off and the SRS Airbag light came on. From then onwards the windows, power top , blinkers, wiper and the instrument cluster stopped working. I started to return about an hour later & the engine started hesitating when i would downshift and slow down. About a couple of miles later the SES 'Service Engine Soon' light came on and i think i have quite a bit of a problem.

This is my third BMW and my 02 3'er coupe had simliar niggling issues with the SRS light; i ended up trading it in for the Zed.

Any experience on their 3/5/6/7 series or Zedster and a ballpark of what the dealer diagnosed..

Happy Motoring & Thanks in advance.
E

See less See more
#3 ·
.... check your battery... my friends s-10 flipped out like gauge cluster went wacky and the check eng. light came on....turns out is was the battery.... have kragens or something test it.....

#4 ·
Update>>

Sorry Guys for the delay in update.

First of all Thanks a ton for the battery voltage diagnosis. I have this device ( from the local auto parts store ) which shows battery voltage and alternator charge state. The z4 displays a standing volts of 11.59 volts but running volts are upto 13.9x range. So is this still a trouble.

I was working with Peake Tech support, trying to decode the fault codes the FCX tool diagnosed. (Thanks a lot Dan )

The SES codes & their interpretations are as follows:
First code is 10 [ ref. chart #10 ] followed by:
c, 27, 6d : Function- Check Tank Venting
c, 28, 1d : BSD Generator - Signal
c, 28, 83 : Mixture Preparation, Bank 2
c, 28, 82 : Mixture Preparation, Bank 1

PS: 'c' is not a fault code, only an indication of seperation for another set of hex codes.

Here is what i found after some research and deduction (s). The first code [ Check Tank Venting ] prolly implies [ due to the 'Function' reference ] an action to be taken, in other words got to check for plausible reasons for the 'in'operability of the solenoid activated vent valve.

BSD Generator: This could be leading to the timeout of the CAN ( for Instrument cluster 1/2 ) or a worse case scenario would be, the data bus has gone kaput [ trying to operate that vent valve ? ] or the vent valve is unoperable because the BSD Generator went bad..what the fish..

The last two are prolly a consequence of the first 2 [ or at least the first one ], with the DME unable to control the fuel-air mixture.

The SRS light well the Peake R5/SRS tool keeps blinking 10 & E in succession and i have yet to ask the tech support the meaning but my guess is that the CAN communication between the SRS modules and ECU indicated a condition interpreted to prompt the SRS light..:conf

I have the AutoEnguinity s/w coming in today & this evening i will install it and diagnose the SES & SRS lights once more.

Will post the AE diagnosis tomorrow and we can also compare it to Peake's results.

Regards Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.