BMW Werkz banner

Should I Buy 840Ci?

5K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  WALSRU 
#1 ·
I am a BMW lover but have never owned an 8-series. I've always been leary because of potential maintenance issues. I guess there's a couple of questions I have:

1) Are the 8-series really that much more to maintain than other BMWs?

2) Is an 840Ci 1995 (80K) going to run well past 100K? Overall is it a great car?

3) What are some common reliability issues I should look out for when I go to see this vehicle?

#2 ·
overall it's a great car that got looks of an exotic
i'm from baltimore as well and i've seen only 3 8-series driving around in the past 5 years
since it's so rare, when something breaks, prepare to spend a lot of money. Does it often break? it's just like with any other car. Some 8's break often, some don't break at all - best way is to look at mantainance records. (even if you're buying from the dealer doesn't mean it's in top shape)
The engine itself can go well north of 200k if taken proper mantainance of. The bmw treats you the way you treat it - take care, everything should be fine.
Since the car is at 80k, LOOK AT EVERYTHING that has been chagned. 60-100k a lot of parts have to be replaced, so if none were, prepare to drop another $5000!!!!

#4 ·
Any knock at all? If you use cheap fuel those motors go to hell fast.

#5 ·
I just found out from CarFax the car was in a minor accident but the paint work that was done is indetectable. Any takes on what this does to the value of the car and if I should go ahead and purchase?

By the way it also comes with a 3 year powertrain warranty that is good for like 90K more miles.

#6 ·
How much are they asking?

#8 ·
Unless they have a lot of records, I'd be a little concerned about that price.

8 series cars are awesome, but without extensive records I would just assume that I'd be responsible for many thousands of dollars of maintenance.

#9 ·
MarylandTim said:
This is what has been replaced according to the dealer: "New Battery, New Radiator, New Catalytic Converter, New Suspension".
I bought mine with 100k miles on it. No problems so far. Remember that these engines are the same as the 540 (E34, M60 engine) model. From 96 to 97 the car received the new (E39, M62 engine, 540) engine. Your car will need new plugs soon. Does the car shakes too much? Open the door and see how the door shakes when the engine is running. These cars are known for the nikassil issue.

PM me for additional info

LOS

#10 ·
Thanks guys. The dealer selling this car seems to be a little shaky. First he said the car wasn't in an accident and then when I checked the CarFax he miraculously remembered it had been. The car has been in owned in NYC and Chicago so I don't like that either.
He also initially said he had receipts for the recent repairs and then later said he doesn't have them. So I am assuming this car is priced like this for a reason. I'm going to back away from this deal but I'm still going to keep my eye on the market for a nice one. I would prefer to find one under $15K with around 80K miles. Is that reasonable?
Also, have these cars pretty much finished depreciating? I plan on keeping the one I get garaged and drive it sparingly on the weekends.

#11 ·
Do your homework, research as much as you can on this car... Don't rush!
try these links for now
e31.net
e31faq.com
clube31.net
I only drive my car once in a while also. It's fun car but it's heavy, over 4100 pounds.... I paid 15k for mine.
If you can find a 96 or 97, the better for you. These cars have the bigger engine (M62). You can also go for the 850ci (V12) BUT IT'S MORE MONEY.......

LOS

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks LOS!! Those links are a great help! I am definitely taking my time. I have my eye on 2 other ones:

1994 840Ci w/ 97K miles for $11,900 [white w/19" custom wheels]
1993 850Ci w/ 93K miles for $12,900 [charcoal w/factory wheels]

I'm waiting on carfaxes from the dealer and I need to see if I can get the service history on them. Any thoughts on 840 vs. 850?

#13 ·
MarylandTim said:
I'm waiting on carfaxes from the dealer and I need to see if I can get the service history on them. Any thoughts on 840 vs. 850?
850 is definitely cooler, but expect higher engine maintenance costs.

#14 · (Edited)
As M3UOND said, the cost on the 850 is much higher. If you do get one, make sure is a '95 or higher. Look at the total production for these cars on one of the links. There IS less than 300 850csi in the country. These of course cost lots more.

The horse power is almost the same on both models, depending on the year. I have not heard any horror stories from other 850 owners but they do mention the cost for parts/labor. There is hardly any room to work on the engine bay.
These owners take pride in knowing there is a V12 under the hood.

Also, don't let prices fool you. Sometimes a good deal is not always the best. I do believe that these cars have reach their bottom. The lowest I 've seem them for is 10k with 150k miles or more... Remember, take your time, do your homework.

One more thing, if I had to buy one of those you listed, I would go for the 850. There is one thing that bothers me about that model though. I believe is call MDK or MKD motor, this sucker gets gummy and you have to replace it around 130-150k miles. Very expensive to replace and difficult to find. There is a forum call roadfly (E31 owners section) that are very knowledgeable on these cars. They can find or sell you parts. One guy, even bought another car so he could have spare parts!!

LOS

#15 ·
Well I did it. I bought the one with 79K on it. The dealer seemed shaky but when I saw the car and drove it I saw it was an unbelievable deal. He was selling it for a friend who needed the money so I got it for way below value. I drove it from Chicago to Baltimore and it was EXHILARATING! The car is awesome! It has a powertrain warranty good until 171K. So I am happy with the purchase: $13,900. That's a steal where I come from. Thanks for all your help LOS and M3UOND! Your advice was invaluable! I put a picture of it under my profile if you wanna check it out. I'll take some more and put them up soon.

#16 ·
I am very happy for you. I am often in the DC/Baltimore area, so I might just have to come by and see it! Going to DC next weekend actually.

I made the drive on I70/I76/I80/I80-90 quite often while I lived in DC; my family live in South Bend, IN. Nice one, isn't it? Ohio has such long stretches of straightaway, but the best parts are usually around Breezewood in Pennsylvania, about 34 miles west of it in the mountains on the east side of the tunnel. I used to breeze through there in my M3 at about 120ish. It was always fun :)

I hope you love your purchase. Those are definitely great cars, and I've always wanted to own one myself!

#17 ·
Yes the drive through Ohio was nice with those long straight stretches but I got a ticket 13 miles into the state!! I was only doing 82 in a 65. Luckily he caught me when I was driving "slow". HAHAHA! It's only $79. Indiana has some nice straightaways too. But like you said those mountain curves when you get close to Breezewood were awesome! After you go through that tunnel it's a long downhill with nice curves. The handling of the 8-series is incredible. I found myself saying wow alot of times during that PA turnpike mountain stretch.

If you wanna come see the ride you are definitely welcome. E-mail me and I'll give you my contact info: tmoor001@hotmail.com

Thanks again!

#18 · (Edited)
Nice car... White!
I really think these cars were made for the open road. City driving sucks because you don't enjoy it as much. If you need additional help, just post it!

Check your headlights/brightness when on. I had to upgrade to better bulbs, what a difference. They also have HID lights but more dinero!

Enjoy the "SHARK" & don't forget to register it with BMWNA (very important, they'll inform you of any recalls on this car)

LOS

#19 ·
13,9? LOL I was looking at that exact one on autotrader. That warranty is friggin awesome. Get some pics up, those Schnitzer wheels looked hawt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.