Replacement Exhaust System - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Leo J. DeLeon is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello All,

I've got a 1998 Z-3 with the 2.8 engine option. I've got about 103K miles on it. Recently the catalytic converter became disengaged from the surrounding metal shell. It has not broken into pieces so it is still functioning and I don't have any "check engine" lights on, but the vibrating noise it makes at start-up seems to be getting worse so it is only a matter of time.

I've heard that there may be some performance pick-up as well as a potential cost savings by considering one of the after-market or performance type replacement exhaust systems out there.

I'm wondering if any of you have a comparable car and have gone through this process of replacing your exhaust systems. I don't want to dramatically increase the exhaust note coming from my car, although I would be O.K. with some moderate increase in performance tone. I do want to insure whatever I select is very compatible with my engine and I had heard that some non-stock systems might result in a constant "check engine" light blazing.

I'd appreciate it if anyone out there that has successfully researched this issue and completed an exhaust system replacement that they are very satisfied with, could email me back with the specifics around what brand/model of replacement exhaust system you selected.

Thanks for your help. Leo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 03:45 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angelic0- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Angelic0-
Performance Exhaust Systems will give you additional power.. but in a little quantity, but if you are a real car enthusiast you will love the roaring sound.

Consider just removing the cat first, it will give you a whole lot of quicker response, and the sound will change a lot, but keep in mind, that you won't pass inspection without the cat

| BMW E36 325i | BMW E34 520i | BMW E39 "M5" | BMW E60 530d MAPPED | BMW E38 740iA | BMW E32 750iAL |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazi!
Viktor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper