Remote Key Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:15 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
andrea is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi,

My remote key battery was shown on the MFD as being low but before I could replace it it went dead totally. The car is currently locked (1995 730i) and neither the master key nor the emergency key will open the drivers or passenger door manually. The locks just seem to spin on their barrels. Is this a common fault and how, short of breaking in to a window, can I get into my car again?!! It's been 10 days now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
call a tow company sometimes the drivers carry slim jim kits. they are an asort ment of thin pieces of metal that slide down between the window and door and can catch the locking mechanisms and unlock the doors.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:03 PM
n00b

andrea is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@Mar 10 2005, 07:55 PM
call a tow company sometimes the drivers carry slim jim kits. they are an asort ment of thin pieces of metal that slide down between the window and door and can catch the locking mechanisms and unlock the doors.
[snapback]308410[/snapback]
Thanks Bryan but does that mean that when I lock the car again then I will still be faced with the same problem all over? My real concern is why has this happened in the first place? Why, even with a new battery, does the remote not activate the locks anymore? Why are the door locks tumbling freely and not responding to my master key manually?

Andrea x
#4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
if there is a new battery in the remote key and it still does not work it may need to be reinitialized to the car or it could have something to do with the locks in the door being broke. i'd suggest taking it to a dealer to get the door locks fixed and the remote key reinitialized. or you could just not lock it anymore htne you wouldn't have to deal with the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper