Really bad smoke. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1993 Bmw 750il
Photos:
iReef is on a distinguished road
Really bad smoke.

Okay so I went to go pick up my 750il from the shop to take it to the auction after the mechanic telling me that my engine has something wrong with it and my transmission is about to go. So I start up the car and it starts up just fine. I left it running for a while because it was cold out side and usually when its cold the EML light comes on and the car has no power what so ever feels like the car won't even move. My dad asks if there was still oil in the car after we hear the engine makin a sound like a washing machine squeaking.

The mechanic says he is gonna check and see if their is oil in it so he takes the dipstick out while the car is running and I'm not the smartest camper here but I told him wouldn't it be better for me to turn off the car before he does that and he said it was fine. so I said w/e. After he takes out the dipstick the oil shoots out all over the car and him lucky the oil wasn't hot. After that we had to clean the oil off the engine so I move the car over to where he directed me to put it and the whole car shakes bad REALLY bad like when its in reverse like the engine or the drive line wants to come falling out.

He washes the Engine down with water again I'm not the smartest but I thought water damages the engine or is that if water fills the whole engine? anyway after that we had to drive it to the house my dad volunteered to drive it while I drive his car. I had lost him because I had to stay behind and lock the gate after we left from the shop. I find him and the car on the side of the road smoking feriously smoke coming from the inside of the car and from the muffler and I look beneath the car and theres a whole in the exhuast and smoke coming out and this isn't like little smoke I mean smoke like a fire is about to start but its white and cloudy. and I also saw smoke in the trunk so and a lot. the car wasn't smoking like this but I also forgot to say before we left he kept turning the car off and on and smoke went everhwere he did this at least 5 times I don't know why but I was getting the other car and I could hear him restarting the car.

Long enough of a story? Anyway so I know there has to be something wrong with the engine for the car to be smoking like this but I don't know what? Could it be something is burning the oil in a weird way? Or something else? just would like to hear some info I may be stuck with this car for the time being but I don't mind because I know I have another car to use the parts from or worst case switch all the good parts to the other one.

This is a 1993 E32 750il too.
iReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Seems to me as if the OSV/PCV's have gone or at least one of them as its a V12, they are at the rear of the engine, basically two bellows, from what you have said I would say this is the problem, the biggest clue you gave was oil shot out when he removed the dip stick and of course the smoke.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1993 Bmw 750il
Photos:
iReef is on a distinguished road
So would this be a hard problem to fix? I know these engines aren't the easiest to work on or would it just be best to sell as it is now? would this be the source of the shaking too?

Last edited by iReef; 10-10-2009 at 01:55 PM.
iReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Its not a hard job just bloody awkward to get to, I have done them before you just lose a few knuckles!!, I would say its missing firing which would make it shake as its not firing properly.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1994 e34 525
Photos:
coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
What a shame. Such a nice elegant car and great engine.
coolvegase34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 2006 750Li
Photos:
CanyonCreekMT is on a distinguished road
How many miles on the car?
CanyonCreekMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper