Radio Stopped Working - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mikegdearborn is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Radio Stopped Working

So I bought one of those tape cassettes that have a wire to plug into your MP3 player and everything was fine, worked as I wanted and all was right with the world.

One day driving along the head unit stopped reading the cassette and I pressed eject and reinserted the cassette and it worked again. This happened a couple times and I repeated the steps and it worked every time. Then one day it did it again and I pressed eject and the cassette started to come out and then it got stuck and the power to the cassette player went away (no lights, no indication that the cassette player worked at all). To my dismay the radio also went down and I am now without any tunes at all. I finally got around to pulling the instrument console apart to check for secondary fuses, shorts, loose connections and all was good. I checked power going into the head unit and there is power. The radio display also doubles as the old school navigation (for lack of a better word) and it (navigation) has power and works as it always did.

So my deduction here is that the head unit (cassette player) went bad and thus I ordered a replacement on EBAY which will arrive tomorrow.

My question is this:

Should I be looking anywhere else for possible causes or is it the collective oppinion that I am heading in the right direction? I would hate to just keep buying and replacing parts until I find the actual cause.

PS, The amp and CD changer still work and therefor shouldnt be the cause of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper