Questions - about to buy a 645 Convt - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:19 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beemie is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Questions - about to buy a 645 Convt

Hello all - I'm new to the forum but not to BMWs (have had them since '97, when I graduated from driving exclusively VW Bugs...) Have since turned my husband on to them (he used to be a big truck guy) and now he's upgrading to a 6-series convertible. Done a fair amount of research on cars.com, autotrader, edmunds, and now the forums, where the real nitty gritty details are!

We've been shopping around, and found what seems to be a good deal on a 2005 645 convertible - less than $15k miles, under $40k, although a little stripped down on options (no seat heaters!!). Here are some questions I have before we pull the trigger - hope you guys can help!

- seller says it has "premium sound" - how can I tell? It has 6 speakers, but no 6-disc changer. If its the Logic 7 speaker where is the 7th speaker? Also, where would it be branded "Logic" (if anywhere)?

- The production date is October 2004 - so it is an early 2005. In your experience, will we still encounter electrical bugs, i.e. with the iDrive? Anything we should test for or have a mechanic check during our prepurchase inspection?

- We actually did take it to get inspected at a separate dealer; unfortunately they found a leaky transmission pan and a "noise" coming from the front, a "possible strut brace" or something. The seller (also a dealer, but independent) is fixing these problems and we'll have it re-inspected again by the non-selling dealer. However, would these issues on a 15k mile car worry you?
(possibly related, when we tried out another 2005 645, it had major creaking when turning tightly - not sure if this is strut related also, but might front-end noise/clunks/creaks be a common problem in 6s?)

Anything else we should know?

Thanks so much for your collective knowledge - looking forward to browsing around! This car is our first step out of the 3series and it seems to be a whole different animal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper