Pre-Purchase 840Ci Inspection Tips - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
razimm is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Pre-Purchase 840Ci Inspection Tips

I am thinking of purchasing a 1997 840Ci with 50,000 miles. It is a one owner, nonsmoker owner and never used in winter. I would appreciate any tips on what I should look for when inspecting the car. What are the weak points of this car? Are there any up coming major maintance items? Any thoughts on the fair value of the car would also be appreciated. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
If it's an auto, has the transmission fluid been replaced? Has the cooling system been serviced and does it have complete service records?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
Book value for the car is around $20,000, fair $18,000 and excellent $21,000. I would say a reasonable value by the book for the one you are looking at is $19,000 to $20,000. It only came in auto so do like ws said and see about the ATF. For that much money and on a low mileage vehicle complete service records should be included, or almost complete. Best of luck with the purchase. Be sure to get it checked out by a dealership prior to purchasing, or find a good reliable independent with a great reputation.

#4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:27 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
If it's an auto, has the transmission fluid been replaced? Has the cooling system been serviced and does it have complete service records?
Thanks for your comments. Yes it is an automatic. I will check the fluid history. Thanks. Rudy
#5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
Book value for the car is around $20,000, fair $18,000 and excellent $21,000. I would say a reasonable value by the book for the one you are looking at is $19,000 to $20,000. It only came in auto so do like ws said and see about the ATF. For that much money and on a low mileage vehicle complete service records should be included, or almost complete. Best of luck with the purchase. Be sure to get it checked out by a dealership prior to purchasing, or find a good reliable independent with a great reputation.
Thanks for your comments and price estimates. Asking price is $22,000 so perhaps there is some room for negoiations. All maintenance records are available so I will look through them too. Thanks again. Rudy
#6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
If all records are there and it looks good from the records then you might not get much off of his price, but I would say there is a little room there. Best wishes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper