power steering fluid e32. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dropbear is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
power steering fluid e32.

hello from Australia to all members and guests,i've only just registered and this is my first post.So g'day.I'd like to ask a question concerning my power steering fluid.I've a 92 e32 730i with the 3lt m60/b30 engine.It hasn't any self levelling suspension nor traction control,just ordinary clapped out suspension.It has servotronic power steering,that's it.The hydraulic fluid was leaking from the oil circuit of the power brake unit and ran low enough to start making noises.When i went to my local spares shop,i bought castrol power steering fluid + conditioner,because it doesn't have any of the above gadgets.Anyhow its stopped leaking and works tops.However i'm worried it'll stuff up because the lid on the power steering fluid resevoir says chf 11s.Would the resevoir be a common fitment to self levelling and non self levelling suspensioned cars with the m60 3lt and 4lt engines or would i have to use the pentosin in this hydraulic system regardless.
best regards davey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:02 PM
n00b

bobwatt is on a distinguished road
dropbear, I have a '89 750il with self leveling and, rather than damage the pump by running it dry, I filled the reservoir with Valvoline Ultramax 32 which I had handy. That was six months ago and everything is still working ok. To be sure I would phone Castrol's tech. department and let them confirm that their oil is suitable for your car.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:47 PM
n00b

dropbear is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
power steering fluid e32

g'day Bobwatt
thanks muchly for the reply.Castrol says that if you don't have self levelling suspension,which mine hasn't,then their fluid is ok.I was worried that my power steering system shared components and therefore seals which were only suitable with chf11s.As i said,the leak stopped and it works fine,just worried it will pack in at some point.The lid says chf11s but i've read on other threads that some 5 series cars which haven't got self levelling also have a resevoir which has chf11s on the lid ,however in reality uses atf fluid.
best regards davey.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 09:21 PM
n00b

dragman is on a distinguished road
Hello From West Seneca Ny Just Making My First Post,just Purchased Yesterday A 7501i How Is Every Thing Bob Watt In South Africa.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 12:01 PM
n00b

dropbear Regards to you too, Davey. At least you don't have to worry about it. Good luck.

dragman, welcome to the site and hope you enjoy your 750 as I do mine. I have an '89 and a '94 750il. Fitted an aircon compressor to the '89, flushed, vacuumed and gassed it today. Just finished 15 min. ago. I will put some pics up one of these days. Things are not too bad here in South Africa. We had our first summer rain last night. Cooled things down and settled the dust.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 05:36 PM
n00b

dragman is on a distinguished road
Hi There Bobwatt Were Having A Nice Fall Day Here In West Seneca Ny Nere Niagara Falls Ny About 65 Degres Fareheit Buffalo Bills Won Football Game There Five One,waiting On A Water Pump For My1989 750il Dragman
#7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbear View Post
g'day Bobwatt
thanks muchly for the reply.Castrol says that if you don't have self levelling suspension,which mine hasn't,then their fluid is ok.I was worried that my power steering system shared components and therefore seals which were only suitable with chf11s.As i said,the leak stopped and it works fine,just worried it will pack in at some point.The lid says chf11s but i've read on other threads that some 5 series cars which haven't got self levelling also have a resevoir which has chf11s on the lid ,however in reality uses atf fluid.
best regards davey.
Someone could have lost the cap and replaced it with the self leveling one.... just a thought.... I use Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF for my powersteering in my 6 and my 7(il no self leveling)....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:53 PM
n00b

dragman. the first job I did on my '89 750il was to change the water pump. Use rubber grease on the o-rings and make sure the two metal heater pipes that go into the back of the pump are properly located before you bolt up. I also removed the two belt idler pulleys and forced grease into them past the seals. They were a bit noisy but are ok now. Good Luck. I take it you are a Buffalo Bills fan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper