Potential BMW 8 Series Owner - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '91 Dinan Twin Turbo 850i, '07 335i
Photos:
Ziminskas is on a distinguished road
Potential BMW 8 Series Owner

This is my first post on Bimmerwerkz and it has to do with the 8 series. From what I have read, the closest that BMW ever got to making an M8, was the 850CSI.....well, my goal is to make the M8 in a vision that I see it, and I just need to know some info from some people who know the specifications of the 8 series better than I do. I really just want to know if I could drop the M5's V10 engine and manual transmission into an 8 series. I dont know if it would line up or what not, but I'm hoping that someone does or knows someone who has tried this approach. I know that the 850i's V12 caused a lot of people heartache, so instead of DINAN chipping it, I'm trying to find a way around that problem. If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.
Ziminskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
How much money do you have to spend? The s85 motor will cost you about 20,000-27,000 by itself, plus installation (30-200 hours @ 100-150/hour)

The cheaper way is the s62 400hp motor from the e39 m5, it bolts directly to our trannies and can be purchased for about $8,000 instead. Use 840ci engine mounts, and m5 wiring harness/gauge cluster. Much much much simpler swap.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
So get an 840ci instead of an 850ci and put like a 2003 M5 engine in it, and it will fit perfectly? Then use the M5's speedodometer, odometer etc. but what about the transmission? I want a 6MT but doesn't the 840ci only come in an automatic? What BMW would I have to take a transmission from?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziminskas View Post
So get an 840ci instead of an 850ci and put like a 2003 M5 engine in it, and it will fit perfectly? Then use the M5's speedodometer, odometer etc. but what about the transmission? I want a 6MT but doesn't the 840ci only come in an automatic? What BMW would I have to take a transmission from?
You should be able to use a tranny from an E39 M5.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Im sorry i shouldnt have used some many technical codes.. get a v8 engine out of a 2000-2004 m5. Its essentially the engine already in the 840ci just bored and stroked and with a higher flowing head/intake system. Use the m5's tranny or use a 540/330/m3 6 speed transmission.

Anyhow, thats as much effort as im going to put into this information, most people who ask these questions cant even afford the car much less the work involved. Sorry for prejudging but thats 95% of people on forums.

"hey, i wanna ferrari 360 but its just too slow, what can i do to make it faster?"
"dont you drive a civic?"
"whats your point?"
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Lol, I know what you mean. But for me that's not the case...either I'm going to do this 8 series project, buy a mercedes 63 amg black edition, or a brabus bullit. I just need some excitement to fill my days
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
8 series is substantially more head turning esp when built up. People even in snobby scottsdale az asking me all the time what kinda car it is, what year it was, how fast it is, etc. More attention then I know what to do with lol.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Is it a good car? If yours were to be totalled or broken and unrepairable in some way, would you buy another one?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
Its been my dream car for a long time, it has lots and lots of electronics so it has some demons here and there, but this car i'm keeping forever. Come hell or high water, i'm keeping it forever.

It IS expensive to maintain too, small shit costs alot - big shit, more. Gotta pay to play, and with a car this rare and of german manufacture, you definately pay.

totalled out i'd still get another 840. It has 324x30mm 4 piston brembo's stock, 282hp motor which is easily chippable to ~330hp and plenty of superchargers which are adaptable to the engine to make 400-500hp. The m70/m73 engine in the 850/850ci has more potential but requires more money to get the hp because everything is more custom. Of course, you planned on doing an engine swap anyway which makes all of the above a mute point.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
the thing that would drive me to get an 850ci instead of an 840i would be just so that I wouldn't have to pay someone to do all the "plumbing" when replacing the auto transmission with a 6MT. If I got an 850ci, I'd probably still swap the tranny with a newer one just so it would have a more crisp feel to it...but at least some of the grunt work would be taken out. I'd still replace the engine though too most likely...but if I got an 840i, I'd probably just chip and supercharge the engine and make a transmission swap. How long do these engines hold up? Most that I've seen have got some pretty good miles under their belt...how much power loss can I expect?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
How long do these engines hold up? Most that I've seen have got some pretty good miles under their belt...how much power loss can I expect?
The V-12's have a bad reputation for longterm durability. The V8's are the same as the V8 in the 540 and 740--the M60 and M62. I have a supercharged M62 in my 540 with 190K miles that purrs like a kitten. I'm also really anal about maintenance. There is a correlation there.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Well, I've made up my mind...I'm gonna go ahead and get an 8 series. All I really need to do is find one...in your opinions, which years are the "best?" I know it's a touchy subject, and everyone does have their own opinion, but what are just some of the ups, and downs to different model years? I really wanna thank you guys for all your input on this, most people now a days don't bother to help anyone but themslves...I'll probably be looking for an 850ci with a 6mt...and I'll just swap the engine, but if an 840ci comes up, I deffinately won't turn my back on it, I'll just have to have a little more work done, by swapping the engine and transmission. Thanks again
Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1994 e34 525
Photos:
coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
as if owning an 8 series wouldn't be cool enough. How fast can you go anyway without the cops up your ass? I can see fixing or improving something that is malfunctioning, but to take a perfectly good car and start messing around with it is pure lunacy. You either have too much time or money on your hands. If you had a bmw, that you got cheap with a blown engine, that is a different story. Ex. A 1995 5 series with a bad 2.5. Putting an m engine in would make sense. Taking an expensive car like an 8 and then messing around with engines and trannys is just stupid. It is a waste of time and conversation.
coolvegase34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
like I said, everyone will have their opinion. And is it a waste of time and conversation? And about having too much time or money; my parents always told me it's not polite to discuss financials, so ok leave that at that...and maybe you're right...maybe I do have too much time on my hands.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvegase34 View Post
as if owning an 8 series wouldn't be cool enough. How fast can you go anyway without the cops up your ass? I can see fixing or improving something that is malfunctioning, but to take a perfectly good car and start messing around with it is pure lunacy. You either have too much time or money on your hands. If you had a bmw, that you got cheap with a blown engine, that is a different story. Ex. A 1995 5 series with a bad 2.5. Putting an m engine in would make sense. Taking an expensive car like an 8 and then messing around with engines and trannys is just stupid. It is a waste of time and conversation.
Mine works perfectly fine and its goal by the end of the year is 500hp. Debating between engine swaps and supercharging options right now.

BTW, do you know anything about e31's? Stock + chip it'll hit 180mph. But w/ stock hp and gearing 0-60 is ~7-7.5 seconds nevermind its top speed. Not exactly blistering, by any standards. No one does 180mph daily in the USA.. but plenty of people do 0-60. Might as well make it fun to drive at the speeds you actually do.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper