overheating 740il - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kris is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
overheating 740il

I replaced all the belts,hoses,water pump,thermostat. My gauge is staying in the middle but when i come to a stop i can see steam coming from the engine.The upper hose is hot but the lower one is cool to warm.The steam looks like it is coming from behind the water pump.I'm thinking it might be the 2 pipes leaking (but i see no leakage from anywhere just steam)The car has a bad connector on the thermostat so it's not pluged in.Any suggestions on what might be the problem is. I think it might need bled but when i put the coolant in i opened the vent and turned up the heat and proceded to fill it up. I'm going to try to bleed the system over the weekend as i got to work the rest of the week..I'm just to tired and frustated to mess with it tonight....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Are the clutch fan and water pump good?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:08 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yes everything is new.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ eather the valley pan gasket or the o rings on the water pipes.... you didnt forget the heater hoses did you my 740 had a leaky valley pan and then a leaky heater hose because of a loose clamp.....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
^ Yep I would deffo go with the above, valley pan or the rubber 'o' rings, but the 'o' rings should be fine as they are new or you have nipped one or not seated properly while instaling the pump, as for the valley pan get the steam coming out and remove the engine cover and take a look.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
n00b

Alandi is on a distinguished road
I've had a nightmare with the cooling system for my 2000 740il (114K) as well.
Can anyone tell me what the problem might be.
I had the valley pan replaced because it was leaking. A few days after while driving along normally the upper radiator hose pops off where it connects to go to the thermostat.
I asked on the forum and I was told it was probably air in the cooling system and I should bleed. Unfortunately when I went to bleed it it seem the alternator got damaged from coolant getting on it. Replaced that and rebled the system. Car ran for almost two weeks no problem. I continued to check and bleed system in the first week letting air escape through the release screw near the expansion tank.
Well yesterday my wife left work and called to tell me steam was coming from under the hood, she said it wasn't overheating. I immediately told her to pull off the road I think that hose popped off again. When I went down to check it had.
I put it back on, put in some coolant, bleed the system (with heater on full blast) as much as I could on the road. Drove it home gingerly. The temperature gauge also went all the way red. Hose popped off a couple more times and repeated the procedure each time. When the hose would pop off though the temperature gauge dropped back almost to normal.
I'm wishing for the best but expecting the worst that the overheating may have resulted in other damage such as warped heads or failed gasket.
What I need to know is what is causing this pressure thats causing the upper hose to pop off?
Is it a clog in the radiator, stuck thermostat, water pump?
Which direction does the coolant flow in the upper hose? Out the radiator to the thermostat or from the pump through the thermostat through the hose and then to the radiator with a split to the water cooled alternator?

I need to fix this car right and complete and sell it fast, not because of this problem but I need a minivan. $10K
#7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well i drained the coolant bled the system but the thermostat is not opening. The lower coolant hose is cold and the left side of the radiator is cold but the right side everything is hot.The sensor thats on the thermostat the plug from the car has been melted for some odd reason so i rigged up a tail ( temporary).Is the thermostat electronic? If it is my theory is one of the coolant sensors ain't sending a signal to the thermostat therefore not letting it open.If I'm right which one do i check ( or change) My needle is staying right in the middle but after awhile the coolant erupts out of the expansion tank.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 AM

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
^ you know that you have to have the cap on the tank so the system can pressurize or it will boil over..... is it over flowing with the cap on the system?

I am Captain Obvious
#9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandi View Post
I've had a nightmare with the cooling system for my 2000 740il (114K) as well.
Can anyone tell me what the problem might be.
I had the valley pan replaced because it was leaking. A few days after while driving along normally the upper radiator hose pops off where it connects to go to the thermostat.
I asked on the forum and I was told it was probably air in the cooling system and I should bleed. Unfortunately when I went to bleed it it seem the alternator got damaged from coolant getting on it. Replaced that and rebled the system. Car ran for almost two weeks no problem. I continued to check and bleed system in the first week letting air escape through the release screw near the expansion tank.
Well yesterday my wife left work and called to tell me steam was coming from under the hood, she said it wasn't overheating. I immediately told her to pull off the road I think that hose popped off again. When I went down to check it had.
I put it back on, put in some coolant, bleed the system (with heater on full blast) as much as I could on the road. Drove it home gingerly. The temperature gauge also went all the way red. Hose popped off a couple more times and repeated the procedure each time. When the hose would pop off though the temperature gauge dropped back almost to normal.
I'm wishing for the best but expecting the worst that the overheating may have resulted in other damage such as warped heads or failed gasket.
What I need to know is what is causing this pressure thats causing the upper hose to pop off?
Is it a clog in the radiator, stuck thermostat, water pump?
Which direction does the coolant flow in the upper hose? Out the radiator to the thermostat or from the pump through the thermostat through the hose and then to the radiator with a split to the water cooled alternator?

I need to fix this car right and complete and sell it fast, not because of this problem but I need a minivan. $10K

hmm i'd say the radiator... but when the hose kept popping off why did you not get the car towed? you could have caused damage to the heads....the coolant goes from the side with the coolant tank to the driver side(LHD)....

I am Captain Obvious
#10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
n00b

Alandi is on a distinguished road
Okay, I've replaced the thermostat and the upper radiator hose. I checked the radiator for clog by blowing into the lower hose and It blew out the upper opening. so don't think the radiator is clogged.

I've put in coolant (blue) now bleeding the system. started car and poured in coolant until red indicator stick came up to level of expansion tank opening. (doesn't appear that any other damage was done when it overheated. engine runs smooth no noise or smoking nothing, thank God.)
kept checking temperature gauge during the initial bleed process. it started to climb after a few minutes.
I put back on the e.t. cap and left the bleed screw loose to let out air and bubbles. reved engine to 1.5k rmp for ten seconds three times. gurgles and bubbles at bleed screw then let it idle and it continued to gurgle and bubble a bit and then it started blowing out a steady stream of steam. checked the temperature gauge and it began to move slowly past the center. I turned off car because I don't think this is suppose to happen.

Is a steady stream of steam suppose to come out of the bleed screw or should it be a flow of coolant to the expansion tank?

How long should this initial process take. I know I have to do this a few times over a few days but after doing this the initial time what should I look for in terms of what should be coming out or happening at the bleed screw before I seal the system and go for test drive.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper