Oh dear - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2003, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Gabriel is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

Hi I posted earlier about getting my first bimmer (740i)

Anyway, It started getting a rough idle and some smoke when cold. Having read some of the topics on this board about bore wear on the nikasil liners, I took the car back to the dealer and explained my fears.
He assured me that there was nothing to worry about but to put my mind at rest he would perform the compression and leak down tests. Turns out that number seven or eight cylinder has a leak due to excessive bore wear!!!!

THe upshot is the car is now worthless as a new engine would cost more that the car is worth.

To the dealers credit he has offered me my money back or if I can wait a copule of weeks to replace the car like for like. (possibly with an E38) and has given me the use of a 530 in the meantime.

It could have been so much worse... so I'm sending out a word of warning to all potential buyers get BMW to check if the engine could have been replaced before you hand over your readies.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2000 M5
Photos:
lwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
wow that sucks. sorry to hear
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
lwebb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
woobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
some E38 V8s indeed have this engine problem. could anyone find out which year E38s?

woobiee - Anamorphic Cycle
woobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Gabriel is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine was a '92 K with 115K miles on the clock.....
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
daniel318is is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It could have been so much worse... so I'm sending out a word of warning to all potential buyers get BMW to check if the engine could have been replaced before you hand over your readies
thanks for the tip
God drives bmw <span style='color:blue'>/</span><span style='colorurple'>/</span><span style='color:red'>/</span>M
daniel318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
QUICKBIMMER is an unknown quantity at this point
I talked a service rep today he told me that most of the problems where corrected in 95. My car 82K know problems yet but I am looking into having a new block on standby just incase. I love driving this car plan own keeping it for a long time. Sorry to here this happened good luck own finding a good one
1993 Nissan Hardbody
QUICKBIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos:
lwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.e38.org/nikosil.html#

try this site for Nikasil info
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Arlo is an unknown quantity at this point
I was told the problem engines were the pre-95 v-8's. this should include the 5 series v-8's as well. The link says it is a problem with compatability with US gas additives and that matches what I have been told also.

I bought a 96 740il and it has an alusil block.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 02:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos:
there is a post in the FAQ's regarding Nikasil

http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?...?showtopic=5352
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper