Neutral Safety Switch? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
msykt is an unknown quantity at this point
[SIZE=1]

My 735i has finally developed a problem. The car has only 76k original miles, but now it only starts when I manipulate the shifter back and forth a few times. First it sounded like a solenoid problem. People have said maybe it is a neutral safety switch. Anyone got advice or a website that will show me where it is located and repair procedure? I have someone to help if they have instructions. Thanks.
msykt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2005, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
FREDPLT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FREDPLT
My 86 735i did this and I recall it wasn't too expensive to fix. It started at about 180+ thousand miles though. The reason so I am told is that the switch for the transmission, the safety switch, tend to corrode and not make the contact. I also had the problem on an 88 325 I used to commute with. Try pushing up to the right at a 45 degree angle away from you. This tends to make contact, hold it until the engine cranks. I did it enough times in my old 325 that it started working again. Just a little trick. As far as replacing yourself, never tried it, let me know if you get a lead on how to do that!
FREDPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
msykt is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by FREDPLT@Jun 10 2005, 03:59 AM
My 86 735i did this and I recall it wasn't too expensive to fix. It started at about 180+ thousand miles though. The reason so I am told is that the switch for the transmission, the safety switch, tend to corrode and not make the contact. I also had the problem on an 88 325 I used to commute with. Try pushing up to the right at a 45 degree angle away from you. This tends to make contact, hold it until the engine cranks. I did it enough times in my old 325 that it started working again. Just a little trick. As far as replacing yourself, never tried it, let me know if you get a lead on how to do that!

[snapback]352289[/snapback]
Yes, that is what it is doing alright. I also have done that with the ignition holding it until the engine cranks, it works. As far as replacing... I am still holding out hope that someone will come up with those installation and location instructions. Thanks so much for your reply... I am sure now that is the problem.
msykt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
FREDPLT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FREDPLT
It is actually quite common of the late 80s BMW automatics. If you know a good BMW mechanic, and not a dealer mechanic, he may be able to help. I am also looking into it as well. On the brightside, it is one of the best kill switches you could have!
FREDPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Pimpin A 6 is an unknown quantity at this point
its actually easy to change yourself, but it is a pain in the ass none the less...u gotta take out the center console, and its all down hill from there, if u know someone that will do it for you for a few bucks just do that. I did it myself so ill tell you it can be done, but i wouldnt wanna do it again.
Pimpin A 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper