Need/ Want your opinion - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
RDRAIDR is an unknown quantity at this point
The wife and I want to step into an X5 from a Jeep GC (loaded) - we have the chance to purchase a used, 2000 4.4. We had a 535i and loved it. The 4.4 has 45k miles on it and we can purchase it for $28,900 - Carfax is clean, etc. I would like to know what to look for, ask about and I'm convinced I should purchase extended warranty - what do you think? I appreciate your responses.
RDRAIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2004, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
italyrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by RDRAIDR@Sep 13 2004, 07:28 PM
The wife and I want to step into an X5 from a Jeep GC (loaded) - we have the chance to purchase a used, 2000 4.4. We had a 535i and loved it. The 4.4 has 45k miles on it and we can purchase it for $28,900 - Carfax is clean, etc. I would like to know what to look for, ask about and I'm convinced I should purchase extended warranty - what do you think? I appreciate your responses. :help
[snapback]187957[/snapback]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I recently bought a new X5 3.0, and have driven it for 7 months.....I just had to have one, and I never thought the ride would be so rough.....Very choppy, nervous, jerky ride....I've spilled countless cups of coffee trying to drink them and drive to work because the ride is so bumpy, stiff and choppy,,,,,And there is totally no leg room in the rear, I have two elementary age children, and they are cramped in the back,,,,,don't know how much longer they can fit back there,,,,,also, there is very limited cargo space and hardly any extra compartments in the cabin for misc. items, such as cell phones, sunglasses, cds, etc....the stereo is substandard, and my speakers have already cracked and sound terrible,,,,also the cup holders that are provided do not adequately hold a standard drink cup, and the inside graspers make it impossible to retrieve it out of the receptacle......the gas mileage is poor due to the AWD, and i have a 6 cylinder at that.....now it IS a BMW, so the driving is sporty and nimble, the two front seats with lumbar support are very comfortable, but the rear seat is just a flat bench, so the kids go flying from side to side, even with their belts on!
I would suggest you to drive this vehicle for at least a full day, with the daily grind of getting in and out of traffic, shopping, and parking, etc. consumer reports rates the X5 with poor reliability, so i would def. get the extnd. warranty, and if it is older than a 2002, check the electrical system out thoroughly......
hope i wasn't too negative, but right now, i am ready for a bigger, smoother SUV....i only have 10K miles on it, and Im very displeased, and ready to trade!!! good luck with your purchase,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sincerely, G. Babin
Baton Rouge, LA
italyrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
The 4.4L X5 is a dream! I love it...deffinatly one of my favorites on the lot right now...as far as SAV's go anyway....the New X5 has alot of the problems sorted out and is rated the safest vehicle on the road (no brainer why on that one) but good luck!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMWLotAttendant is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWLotAttendant Send a message via MSN to BMWLotAttendant
I'd advise any 4.4, 4.6, 4.8 liter engines.....those are the best...but if you are in a financial bind, the 3.0 works well too.

The X5 is the best SUV made by BMW. Tell us what you decide. Good luck!
BMWLotAttendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
inspire is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd go with the X5. The wife and I just purchased an 04 X5 3.0 with the sports and premium package, xenon headlights, and rear climate package. It's her daily driver now, but I drove it for the first month to break it in for her. During the first month, I was rather surprised with the agility, comfort, and power of the vehicle. I drive an Acura TLS, and sorry to say, the X5 handles better than my Acura.

We also opted for the extended warranty which covers the maintenance for up to 6 years/100,000 miles for $1795. How much are they charging you for the extended warranty?

I wouldn't rely on the carfax report for everything however. Make sure a mechanic you trust (oxymoron?) takes a look at the vehicle...or take it to an independent BMW mechanic and have them check it out.

Either way, both cars are nice...just a matter of personal preference.

Good luck.
inspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper