Need to Replace Brake Rotors? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 07:53 PM
KPV
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KPV is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I am new here and hoping someone can shed some light on this subject for me. I am actually a Porsche guy, but my father owns a late model 740 and recently received news from the dealer that his brake pads and rotors needed replacement. This is only after 38,000 miles. The dealer said BMW put on softer rotors to increase the braking ability at the expense of rotor life.

Does this sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Ski
Sheer Driving Pleasure

Ski is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by KPV@Aug 15 2003, 10:33 PM
I am new here and hoping someone can shed some light on this subject for me. I am actually a Porsche guy, but my father owns a late model 740 and recently received news from the dealer that his brake pads and rotors needed replacement. This is only after 38,000 miles. The dealer said BMW put on softer rotors to increase the braking ability at the expense of rotor life.

Does this sound right?
Softer brake pads I've heard but rotors also?? Hmmm..

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
'06 330xi Loaded
#3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a standard practice at the dealer to replace pads, rotors and sensors. Supposedly the rotors weren't designed for re-use. Not to mention there is a whole liability factor involved as well not to mention customer satisfaction. Sure enough the one time you only quote pads, the customer is going to throw a fit or something fails and causes an accident, whatever. According to BMW, to maintain OE braking performance the rotors should be replaced as well and also completely flush the fluid every other year or more frequently depending on the abuse the brakes take.

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper