Mini Cooper S Losing Power - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Pantalaimon is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought my 2002 MINI Cooper S new, and after 2.5 years and 35,000 miles the power is really starting to fade. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas about what it could be?

I've had it to the dealer twice for this, and they did agree that it felt sluggish. But all they did was reflash the computer (and failed to test drive it afterwards). No improvement. ghead

I'd like to dyno test it to prove that it is losing power, but I don't want to pay for dyno testing when the fix should be covered under warrantee.

For the first year plus I had a huge grin on my face every time I drove my MINI Cooper S. I'm bummed that it's not giving me that adrenaline rush any more.
Pantalaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know what you mean i have also noticed this on a 2002 mini or high mileage cars. not quite sure xactly what causes it, but your not alone. the only thing i can think of is that the mini S have ahuge amount of blowby. i have seen the intercooler literally drip oil out of it when taken off the car. that is the only thing i can think of though. quite honestly i just don't think those engines were really built for a super charger and really hard riving. after all it IS just a Chrysler engine.
bryan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Pantalaimon is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for this reply,Bryan1970. It makes perfect sense now that you mention it. I've just located a source for a fix on the blowby problem too! The ALTA MINI Performance Catch Can Kit. (http://outmotoring.com/alta_oil_catch_can.html). I think I'm going to invest in this, along with the 19" pulley kit. I need more horse power from this little Chrysler engine. That should help me hold out for the 2006 MINI S with the Peugot turbo charged engine.

Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@Mar 9 2005, 10:17 PM
i know what you mean i have also noticed this on a 2002 mini or high mileage cars. not quite sure xactly what causes it, but your not alone. the only thing i can think of is that the mini S have ahuge amount of blowby. i have seen the intercooler literally drip oil out of it when taken off the car. that is the only thing i can think of though. quite honestly i just don't think those engines were really built for a super charger and really hard riving. after all it IS just a Chrysler engine.
[snapback]307546[/snapback]
Pantalaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i've seen about those catch can type sytems i have yet to actually see one at work but it makes sence to me to have something like that.

wow mini is gonna use a peugot motor that sounds like it will be fun. i work at a dealer and i never hear about all the good stuff like that. although i'm not always trying to find out about all that stuff, but you would think i'd catch wind of it atleast. oh well that does sound like a good engine for the mini. ever since they originally came out i thought it was stupid to use a dodge neon engine.
bryan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper