LOWERING SUSPENSION ON A E32 730ise - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BIG 730 is on a distinguished road
LOWERING SUSPENSION ON A E32 730ise

Ive just picked up a set of 17" BBS split rim, deep dish alloys with low profile tyres. The distance from the top of the front tyres to the arches looks alot more than it did with the 15" wheels on it?

Anyway, I have bought a set of lowering springs for the car to drop it by 50mm. The top of the rear tyres are almost level with the rear arches and it looks great, and there is about 52mm distance from the top of the tyre to the arch on both front wheels. I was going to just lower the front springs so the car sits at the same ride height all over....is it OK to just lower the front? Should I lower the whole car by 50mm??????

The rear shocks are fine as are the front struts.

Also, as haynes doesnt have a manual for this car, has anyone had the front springs out and could point out any areas that are particularly difficult? Ive done the springs on a few cars (82' Trans-Am, Volvo 760ect) so Im assuming that it will be roughly the same procedure to remove them? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
BIG 730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BIG 730 is on a distinguished road
Oh forgot to mention........the 17" wheels I have, according to the BMW dealer, are only for a 5 series. BMW told me that 5 series alloys should not be used on a 7 series without a spigot adapter (or sleeve whatever you want to call it). Apparently the 5 series hub is slightsly smaller in diameter than the 7 series, so without the adapter the wheel isnt properly centered and you get vibration??? I would have though that the 5 studs would have centered the wheel, but I have to say that with the spigot adapters fitted, there isnt any vibration from the steering any more????! Nothing to do with the actuall post, but just thought Id pass on the info...you all probably know this already though!
BIG 730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a repair manual for the 8 series... Both models are similar.
I'll see if there anything in particular that may apply to your question.

Try this website as well... HTTP://BIMMER.ROADFLY.COM
Click on message boards, then bmw message forum and then click on your model
There is a ton of good information. You may find the manual there, I did! (for the 8 series)

LOS

Last edited by LOS; 01-09-2006 at 05:13 PM.
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper