BMW Werkz banner

Looking at buying a 1995 740IL

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jyep 
#1 ·
I am currently looking at a 1995 740iL the car is in fair shape with some scratches and small dings. 140K miles, auto, and looks to be fully loaded. The price is incredible, $4500 which leads me to worry if there is something more to worry about. I read about the coolant issues (Not to mix coolants) and the plastic water pump impeller. Is this a car I should be able to expect some longevity from if I maintain it well? Anything specific to watch out for? I have emailed the seller twice today, and am currently awaiting a reply. Thanks!~~Heath

#2 ·
Well, it seems that you and i are subject to no answers in our respective threads. Personally, I am used to better member responses through my VW tuner forums. I guess that Beemer enthusiasts are just not as openly enthusiastic about thier cars as VW enthusiasts. Thats a beemer bummer.

For what it's worth, i just purchased my 95 for 10,500 befor tax and license. it has 120,000 miles, was meticulously maintained by an older couple that recently moved to the Northwest and traded it in on a Lexus landcruiser that they felt better serves them for their new area in which they live (and they are correct, becouse they live in a very steeply hilled, wooded community. The car has a broken drink holder (easy fix), and the Lockout that prevents the car from accidentally being thrown into R from drive is not functioning. aside from that the car is a beatiful model of near perfection. It came with the optional M sports package that includes all the seductive side skirts, deep dish 18 inch wheels, and handling upgrades. I bough the car for my wife to replace our small GTI as the primary family car, but the wife got upset and decided that she didnt like the car.....mostly becouse i made the desicion without her approval, so i figure I bought the car at a nice wholesale price and i will resell it locally for a small profit. Currently my wife is rethinking her position, and I may sell the GTI instead. So basically, If your car is in somewhat very good appearence, I would ask the owners if you could have it checked out . Then i would find a great Beemer mechanic, and do just that. If the car is fine, snagg it!!! if the car needs repairs that still maintains your overall investment at or under the 10,000 figure....snagg it! If repairs to bring the car up to perfect cost below 15,000 and you intend to keep this car for yourself.....snag it. if not....avoid it. I hear that you should be most concerned with the tranny...have your mech pay special attention there.

hope this is helpfull in some way.

MB :welcome

#3 ·
check out www.e38.org

specifically check to see if the original Nikasil block has been changed out. You didn't state your location but if your state is a designated "high sulfur" fuel area, the Nikasil block will have idling/compression problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.