BMW Werkz banner

Looking to buy used 7 series between 1996 and 1999 for £4000. Advice please?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  thekid 
#1 ·
Looking to buy used 7 series between 1996 and 1999 for £4000. Advice please?

I'm looking to buy a used BMW 7 Series, the shape that came in around 1996 (as in the films The Transporter and Bond's Die Another Day). I just love this shape. I owned a few 7 series from 1990 to 1994 shape, but the shape after that is just gorgeous. I don't like the very new shape (can't afford one either).

I'm a huge fan of big luxury limo type cars that just glide along. I currently own an R 1998 BMW 323i Touring, but the 3 series just isn't the ultimate BMW driving experience for me personally.

I've spotted plenty of 728, 730, 740 etc on eBay aged approx 1996,97 with between 100,000 and 125,000 on the clock for between £2,500 and £3,500. Even on AutoTrader they go for this.

Can anyone recommend any particular 7 series model/engine size. Are there any in particular that are prone to problems such as blowing head gaskets, gearbox issues or other engine problems. Are there any in particular that are the most reliable? I've heard V8 is one to avoid?

I'm looking for a reliable 7 series. Reliability is top of my list of priorities over performance and/or fuel consumption.

The ones with the TV's in them look pretty flash and would impress my friends I'm sure.

Anyway fellas, I'd totally appreciate any recommendations of particular engines/specs etc, reliability issues, what I should look for and listen for when going to view them. Or anything else I should watch out for.

I'm aware if I buy a bad one it will cost a fortune to sort out, so I don't want to make any mistakes.

Finally, what is fuel consumption like on these. I know my old 1990 730i got me about 37 miles around town on £10, but it was worth it just for the magic carpet ride.

I'm based in Cambridgeshire in the UK.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

See less See more
#3 ·
bmv said:
the V6 models are good and do not get a 7 with over 110k on it it's just trouble
I think you mean the I6 models...

The 8 cly models are MUCH less reliable than the I6 models. But the I6 models are just tug boats instead of cruise liners. I'm not sure about fuel economy especially given the metric and other conversions, but it's not great. If relliability is your main concern, I would consider a 5 series with the 6 cly instead. If you really want the 7 series and reliability is your concern stay with the 6 cly, but just remember it's a "small" engine powering a big car. For drive-ability concerns you want the 8 cly....

Also, in the movie the transporter I thought it was a 540i that he was driving not a 740....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.