Looking to buy 2003 745i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 01:35 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gharris281 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Looking to buy 2003 745i

Whats up men. New to the boards here although i've been reading these forums for the past 2 years. Joined to get you guys opinion on my next purchase.

Ok so i am looking at a 2003 745i with 140,xxx miles on it. Cars in pretty good condition and it has the sport package and cold weather package with al the other basics there as well. The seller is asking 9200 for it but i'm not sure if its worth that. I've been on EDMUNDS.COM AND KBB.COM to help with finding a offer price. Ive got prices between 7200, 8700 from both websites.

I know many may say it's not worth it because it will soon fail on me. Or because the amount i pay in bills will surpass that. But the car seems to be in pretty good condition and after recently graduating from college i need some transportation and not a honda. I can afford to get things fixed so thats not a problem. I also want to did this instead of something newer because its my first BMWs so i want to see how good i can do with handling it you know. I guess you can say im going this route to see how responsible i can be with it. Ok now that you have that.

The car is in GOOD condition. 142xxx miles and not many interior or exterior damage. Again the seller is asking for 9200. What do you think i should offer being that there is a high possibility of some type of major failure due to the high milage?

Please i am not looking for any negative answers being that im going to probably buy it anyway. Im just looking for answers on what i should offer the man based on the mileage and the year.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 04:58 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

First, a couple questions. Why a 7 Series? What makes you want that over a 3 or 5 Series?

Now, the 2003 7 Series is the first year or the new generation. As such with any model the first year version's usually have issues, that were worked out in later years. Also, it's high mileage. Now BMW engines and drive trains are built to go 300k+ easily. Providing that they were maintained properly. Ask for all service records and check then. Make sure that all required services were completed when they should have been. Look for other repairs or expenses as well. Always,always get a PPI done first, especially on an older 7 Series.

As for price, I can't comment because I live in Canada so the cost down in the US is cheaper then what we would pay. Seems reasonable, but hard to say without seeing the car.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 06:45 PM
n00b

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gharris281 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

First, a couple questions. Why a 7 Series? What makes you want that over a 3 or 5 Series?

Now, the 2003 7 Series is the first year or the new generation. As such with any model the first year version's usually have issues, that were worked out in later years. Also, it's high mileage. Now BMW engines and drive trains are built to go 300k+ easily. Providing that they were maintained properly. Ask for all service records and check then. Make sure that all required services were completed when they should have been. Look for other repairs or expenses as well. Always,always get a PPI done first, especially on an older 7 Series.

As for price, I can't comment because I live in Canada so the cost down in the US is cheaper then what we would pay. Seems reasonable, but hard to say without seeing the car.
My younger brother has a 3 and it's just to small for me. A 5 is OK size but I'm not feeling the older models. A 7 is perfect because of my size. 6'3 235 pound football player needs some leg room. And also because unlike the car and always wanted it. I'm ok with cars but also have a family mechanic that knows all about them because he works on hem.

My biggest thing is how to approach the negotiating part of it. Not sure where to start. Edmonds and Kelley blue book has the car at being worth around 7200 to 8700 so I'm not sure where to start with him asking for 9200. How would you feel if you were selling yours and you seem what those to websites had it worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper