Looking for advice on 850's - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 11:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mstepchinski is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)

Hi -
I am looking to get into a clean 850, preferrably a 1994+ (for the more powerful engine line up), and am curious as to what I may be potentially getting myself into (maintenance, common things that go wrong with these cars, etc.) I currently have a C5 Corvette, and haven't dreamed of getting rid of it for **any** car besides an 850.

Any input is appreciated! Hope to be active in these forums once I acquire my dream!!

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 05:57 AM
n00b

7seriesflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 840Cia from 94 with almost 200.000 Km on it. It is a great car - the 850's are according to my workshop a lot more problematic due to the big engine.

The engine was rebuilt with new pistons - which I think is related to the 94 year only (but not sure), I had a problem with the driver door window (wouldn't close, window going up and down, and alarm would go off) - but that was fixed with switching out some switches. The automatic gearbox is a little rough, and cannot decide which gear to select if forced with fast accelerations (the occasional bang comes to!)- but it is real smooth if driven like a cadillac... The exhaust system was changed once (not the catalysator though) - it held up for 9 years!

The car is great (black with creamcolored lether), and I wouldn't want to change it for anything.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:04 AM
n00b

Rich.H is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 7seriesflyer@Aug 21 2004, 05:57 PM
I have a 840Cia from 94 with almost 200.000 Km on it. It is a great car - the 850's are according to my workshop a lot more problematic due to the big engine.

The engine was rebuilt with new pistons - which I think is related to the 94 year only (but not sure), I had a problem with the driver door window (wouldn't close, window going up and down, and alarm would go off) - but that was fixed with switching out some switches. The automatic gearbox is a little rough, and cannot decide which gear to select if forced with fast accelerations (the occasional bang comes to!)- but it is real smooth if driven like a cadillac... The exhaust system was changed once (not the catalysator though) - it held up for 9 years!

The car is great (black with creamcolored lether), and I wouldn't want to change it for anything.
[snapback]169906[/snapback]
#4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:11 AM
n00b

Hi
Im in Hong Kong and have found a great looking 1994- 840Ci which has done 65,000 KMS.
I am planning on having it tested by the Hong Kong AA before I close the deal, at the owner- dealer's cost, around 90 USD should I have BMW do a test - at my cost,. I have been reading about this Nikasil issue and it scares me as parts are pretty hard to find here and VERY expensive. Would you have an independent AA test done before I close the deal...cost is around USD 300 !!
The car looks great, all original parts it
has a full service history and IDLES well. Any thoughs.....?

Rich H
#5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:13 AM
n00b

Hi
Im in Hong Kong and have found a great looking 1994- 840Ci which has done 65,000 KMS.
I am planning on having it tested by the Hong Kong AA before I close the deal, at the owner- dealer's cost, around 90 USD should I have BMW do a test - at my cost,. I have been reading about this Nikasil issue and it scares me as parts are pretty hard to find here and VERY expensive. Would you have an independent BMW test done before I close the deal...cost is around USD 300 !!
The car looks great, all original parts it
has a full service history and IDLES well. Any thoughs.....?

Rich H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper