Isaac - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Isaac is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Isaac

On-board (Trip) Computer problems. Can a fault in this computer prevent the the engine from starting or running with out giving the signals described in the Owner's Handbook?
Also - my car is right hand drive (I'm in New Zealand) and the instructions in my workshop manual for removing the On-board Computer does not apply as it is in an opposited handed position. Can some one tell me what has to be done to get it out please? Isaac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
AFAIK, a bad OBC shouldn't prevent the car from running.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
It depends if the "Code" was set in it... It could but is not likey

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Neutral Member

antose9 is an unknown quantity at this point
No way on Board Computer malfunctioning can cause engine troubles. It just reads data, it does not control anything, so i dont believe its a cause.,... Also RHD and LHD are almost identical, just read a manual against a mirror, and you will get clear instructions
#5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:34 AM
n00b

Isaac is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by antose9 View Post
No way on Board Computer malfunctioning can cause engine troubles. It just reads data, it does not control anything, so i dont believe its a cause.,... Also RHD and LHD are almost identical, just read a manual against a mirror, and you will get clear instructions

Thank you antose9. Unfortunealetly life is not always so straight forward.

The on-board computer has an anti-thief function activated by a code so if there is an attempt to start the engine the book says a gong sounds - and there may well be an immobilser function. So maybe the computer can affect other functions. You see each bank of the V has its own system so the engine should always start and run on one bank - unless there are two faults at the same time - unlikely - or a fault in a common function - i.e. this computer?

My Workshop Manual is for a left hand drive car and shows the computer on the right hand side of the radio. So with the radio removed there is easy access to the release lever in the right side of the radio opening. In my right hand drive car the computer is on the left of the radio and there is no release lever there. On the left of the computer where the release lever is located I have the "wood" trim that runs from the computer to the outside of the car. AND - without a lot of work it seems really hard to get access.

So I still need help please. Isaac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper