Interior lights fuse keeps blowing up,antifreeze leak - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lazezo is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Interior lights fuse keeps blowing up,antifreeze leak

Hi
Hope I can get some good advise here, I have a 99 E38 and a month ago the interior light fuse started to blow every 3 to4 days, I think it operates the washer pump too, can you please advise how to fix, also I had to add some antifreeze every once in a while but some good amount (15 oz) is this normal , no leak at all but sometimes I smell antifreeze, thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
First, I suggest to find and fix the coolant leak. As to the fuse issue, is the washer pump working rightly?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:52 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi
The washer pump works fine when I change the fuse as for the leak I can not find any traces of coolant under the car , is there a specific location that I should look for the leek at it, thanks.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 03:16 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Have a look at the seam between the plastic tanks at each end of the radiator and the metal section. I have a similar issue on my E38 and its a small leak on that seam. I know I'll be replacing my radiator soon, but it did get me through a hot summer without failing totally. Check your engine oil to make sure it isn't cloudy, but if you can smell coolant, its going to be an external leak of some sort. Remove the bottom engine cover (plastic panel) that you remove to change oil and see if you can spot where it leaks from. Apparently that cover can catch the coolant before it makes it to the ground.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:00 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
If you can smell antifreeze you definitely have a leak, also along with Brett's recommendations check for a leak under the waterpump (around the central bearing look for rusty residue or anywhere around the pump) and at the rear of the engine where all the coolant pipes go to the heater matrix, also have a feel under the expansion tank around the sensor,coolant leakage normally leaves a whiteish residue and white crystals when it dries so look for this as well, as for the interior lights check all the connections in the puddle lights are nice and tight, this sounds like a short of a connector being loose..

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:19 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the response, I will check the leak and update you guys, for the fuse issue excuse my ignorance what is the puddle lights ?
#7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:24 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
For the fuse, it will work and go bad without a single use of the pump I am more inclined to the center-lock or the alarm system, I think it goes bad with locking and unlocking, any ideas.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
I think (not sure) that the puddle lights are the interior lights in the base of each door. Probably called puddle lights because they light up the ground when you open the door.
Activating the central locking turns the interior lights on, you might find that simply by opening the door, or turning the interior lights on without operating the central locking the fuse still blows.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Correct Brett...Puddle lights as they light up the puddles left by the rain...well here in the UK they do Haha!

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper