Interior lights are all dead???? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 02:37 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BIG 730 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Interior lights are all dead????

Hi there,
This is my forst post and Im hoping someone out there can help me out. I have purchased an automatic 1992 730ise with 156K, the car is in great shape but has 2 problems:

1) When first started from cold the idle speed fluctuates for a few minutes
then settles (is this normal?).

2) When you open a door, any door, none of the interior lights come on, the
lights on the bottom of the doors dont come on either. The boot light is
fine as is the bonnet light and both lights in the sun visors. I am assuming
it is a fuse that has gone, does anyone know where this fuse is located
or any other suggestions as to the problem???

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Alastair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 03:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Interior Light Switch

Do you have a light in the glove box? Interior light fuse is in the number 30-35 area (I do not have my ETM at hand) and is under rear seat. All interior light issues have been resolved by replacing the fuse
#3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:37 PM
n00b

kc740i is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

im no expert, but I had a problem with idle fluctuation. Just sharing an experience. My throttle body was getting stuck and the car was idleing at 2000 rpm on startup, only way to stop it was physically going into the engine and pushing the clip back down. Sprayed some brake cleaner on it and cleaned it out a bit and no problem anymore. I also had to adjust the throttle cable tension, as it was too loose. I also cleaned the MAF (walkthrough that I used here ---> http://www.louv.tv/cars/m5/MAF/ ). Dirty MAF can cause rough idle sometimes & is worth cleaning for the time it takes.
Hope that helps, as it took me 15 minutes and 10$ for all the cleaning supplies.
(brake cleaner works just fine instead of simple green)

95 740i e38
#4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Idle sorted....just the lights to go!

Yeah I have the white torch in the glovebox, and I checked the fuse under the rear seat.....it hasnt blown???!!!

Sorted the rough idle problem, I stripped out the AIR valve and sensor ect, blasted it out with compressed air and tweeked the idle speed so its around 850 now.....running smooth and sweet.

Now....if I could just fix the interior lights lol!
#5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this is dumb and you probably already checked, but... do you have a switch above the rear view mirror? There are three settings for the interior lights, one is to keep them on all the time, second off all the time & third when you open or close the doors they'll come on... I don't own your model but I have a 97 540 and a 95 840ci which have the same set up I believe.

LOS
#6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
lights cont....

Yeah, Ive played with all the switches up at teh sunroof, makes no difference. All the fuses are fine, the rear reading lights are fine when turned on as are the front sun visor lights, glovebox light ect.....but all the lights that come on when you open teh doors are dead. The bulbs are all also fine????

Not sure if this makes any difference but the sun visor lights, under bonnet light and rear reading lights only work when the main lighting switch (on the left of the instrument cluster) is set to sidelights on or higher????

Any ideas?????????????????????????
#7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:27 PM
4th Gear Member

WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
it sounds like the source and output are fine (the fuse and the bulb). that makes me think about the wiring?

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
#8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
lights....

Yeah, Im thinking the same thing, must be a break in the wiring, but where could the break be that would result in everything going dead. The other thing I thought about was a dodgy master switch up at the rear view mirror.......Could I unplug the +ve and -ve wires at that switch/light, and then run a +ve and -ve wire from a second battery to the switch......would that fry the electrics in the car or would it let the interior lights power from the second battery? If the lights then worked when powered from the second battery that would let me narrow down the bad wire to the one going from the rear view mirror switch/light and fuse box??????????????????????????? This is driving me nuts at night!

Keep the suggestions comming!
#9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:18 PM
4th Gear Member

WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
where do you live? do you live in the UK? i would say find the equivalent of an autozone or something and ask them if they have some sort of device to test for it.

sweet name, the only time i've heard Alastair is in a tom clancy novel. and not suprisingly he lived in England.

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
#10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
lights

Cheers, Im in Scotland...quite a few Alastairs (with various different spellings) up here! yeah, I think your right, or rather I give up lol! Ill take it along to an auto electrician sometime and let them look at it, till then Ill just have to use the sun visor lights to map read at night lol!
#11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

I have looked on my manuals 5 & 8 series... and nothing!
In regards to the visor lights, they only come on when you turn your headlights on...

There has to be some type of master relay for the interior lights. There is no other explanation, but which one?? I'll keep looking. I purchased an 840ci recently and enjoy messing with it even though there is nothing wrong with it. I may remove some fuses and see what happens, will do it this coming weekend.

LOS
#12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 09:16 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

BIG 730

There is a general module (GM III) located behind the glove compartment on E39 models that controls the interior lighting. It's a 20 pin, black in color unit. Maybe there is a loose connection. I'm sure your car is wired the same way. As of the location of this unit on your model, don't know... Tha'ts all I could find.

Front springs/ shocks:
If your car has a switch that changes from "normal" to "sport" mode when driving, you may have to unplug a connector. You may get a warning noticed on your panel but this is normal after unplugging the connector and may have to be clear the scanning tool.

One more thing, check out this website, it's very handy! www.realoem.com
LOS

Last edited by LOS; 01-11-2006 at 09:23 AM.
#13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 02:37 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi,
Cheers for the info, I will have a look for the black relay.....fingers crossed its there on my car! I will post an update in the next few days!

As for the springs, yeah I do have the switchable sport gearbox, not sure why the warning light will come on though? Ill let you know what happens once I get the car lowered (that is, whenever the rain goes off over here in Scotland!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper