Instrument Board Gauges Going Counterclockwise - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:23 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cralangas04 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

I have a minicooper chili 2003 and for the 2nd time in a year the gauges in my instrument board (where the speedometer is) moved counterclockwise when I turn the key, just before the engine starts, lets say at position I (it has 3 positions 0-shutoff, I-instrument lights, radio, etc, II-engine starts), they moved just for a 2 or 3 seconds in that way and then they return to normal position. The gauges involved are the speedometer, fuel gauge and temperature gauge.
On december 2004 I went with this problem with the dealer and hardly they found that the instrument board had a major failure so they replaced it (but not until january 2005 because lacking at inventory). Yesterday it start doing the same behavior so I went again with the dealer. They told me today that the diagnostic computer reported no failure at all and the fail didn't show ghead so I will have to go to pick up my "minimčrde" and wait until the failure shows up again.

Any ideas about this failure/weird behavior? Somebody told me that perhaps the failure isn't in the instrument board but at the alternator. I told that to the workshop guys but they told me the computer checked also for any electric failure, reporting there were no electric failure whatsoever.

-Carlos used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a strange one. If I had to make an educated guess, i would say that your OBC system is doing its diagnostics check wrong. Check to see if there are any service bulletins.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 04:17 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Arrow

Hm!... service bulletins.
I've searched here and found nothing about. But still looking.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb Gauges going counterclockwise SOLVED!

Finally! and NOT thanks to BMW service! (shame on them! : ), I now know why the heck this gauges trembled when turning the key to position I... It indicates that your battery is running low and for that reason the gauges go wild : . Weird because there's a light indicator just for that, but I guess it doesn't work used: .

Anyway, I posted the question, AND the solution. Hope this helps for the good-for-not-so-much BMW dealer service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper