BMW Werkz banner

Instrument Board Gauges Going Counterclockwise

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  cralangas04 
#1 ·
I have a minicooper chili 2003 and for the 2nd time in a year the gauges in my instrument board (where the speedometer is) moved counterclockwise when I turn the key, just before the engine starts, lets say at position I (it has 3 positions 0-shutoff, I-instrument lights, radio, etc, II-engine starts), they moved just for a 2 or 3 seconds in that way and then they return to normal position. The gauges involved are the speedometer, fuel gauge and temperature gauge.
On december 2004 I went with this problem with the dealer and hardly they found that the instrument board had a major failure so they replaced it (but not until january 2005 because lacking at inventory). Yesterday it start doing the same behavior so I went again with the dealer. They told me today that the diagnostic computer reported no failure at all and the fail didn't show :banghead so I will have to go to pick up my "minimèrde" and wait until the failure shows up again.

Any ideas about this failure/weird behavior? Somebody told me that perhaps the failure isn't in the instrument board but at the alternator. I told that to the workshop guys but they told me the computer checked also for any electric failure, reporting there were no electric failure whatsoever.

-Carlos :confused

See less See more
#4 ·
Gauges going counterclockwise SOLVED!

Finally! and NOT thanks to BMW service! (shame on them! :mad: ), I now know why the heck this gauges trembled when turning the key to position I... It indicates that your battery is running low and for that reason the gauges go wild :eek: . Weird because there's a light indicator just for that, but I guess it doesn't work :confused: .

Anyway, I posted the question, AND the solution. Hope this helps for the good-for-not-so-much BMW dealer service. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.