BMW Werkz banner

info center in the gauge cluster question

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jyep 
#1 ·
hello to everyone i had a question that i hope can get answered.....here it goes

i just bought a 95 740i w/ the 4.0 Litre V-8 auto tranny 195,000 miles (i know its alot) lol

well heres the question....the info center is telling me to inspect my "brake Linings" is that just checking the rubber hoses to the calipers to make sure they are not leaking or is to actullaly change them no matter if they are still good condition....
also will the info center tell me when to service everything and change anything and tell me if somnthing is wrong.

and final queston...does the oil service light get into the red whenit reaches 3000 miles or does it go into red longer than 3000.

sorry for another question but where can i find a good manual where it has bolt torques and all that noise in case i ever run into a problem.....thanks to all and sorry for the lenghty question

#2 ·
get a Bentley Manual from amazon for your bolt and any other kind of technical questions. and you shouldnt go by the oil service indicator lights, just change your oil every 3000 miles no matter what. and as for the brake linings i would have a trusted mechanic look over the car and let you know whats good and whats about to go. Also, if u have the records, see when the last timing belt was put on, they should be replaced about every 50k miles. B)

#4 ·
Actually the "oil service" light doesn't "turn red" base on mileage intervals. The onboard computer will determine the oil change interval base on many factors.......% city/hwy driving, your driving style, upshifts, downshifts, etc. fuel/air mixture, etc.

However, many drivers don't pay attention to this "oil service light" and will change their oil/filter on their own preference and then reset the "oil service indicator".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.