inaccurate temperature displayed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
melomaniac is on a distinguished road
Garage
(Thread Starter)
inaccurate temperature displayed

this comes down to whom one believes more: when the bimmer says 90 and the android phone says 80, who is right? partly I can ascribe this to being in traffic, on tarmac in the sun, but sometimes I see the bimmer overestimating the outside temperature even on a cool morning right after sliding out of the garage... what can I do to verify or check?

'99 e38 sporty shorty, cosmos/sand, staggered 18" M-parallel spokes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
carid is on a distinguished road
The temerature sensor is underneath the front of the vehicle. usually mounts into either the skid plate on the drivers side, or up by the bottom of the front bumper. (mostly from what I've seen). I would say that the sun beating in the hot pavement and the sensor being less than a foot away from that would cause the temperature to read slightly higher. I'm not sure how you can test this being that your phone doesn't actually have a temerature sensor. it goes by weather info.

Chrome accessories, performance chips, and air intakes for BMW at http://www.carid.com/bmw-accessories/ The variety of performance accessories at affordable prices!

#3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
I personally believe the in car one to be more accurate to your location then the android app. On my E36 the temp sensor is in the brake cooling duct near the front of the bumper. It measures air temp as it passes by the sensor. The heat radiating from the pavement can make it read higher then a normal thermostat would, but probably not by much.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper