I need help with my 850!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1991 850i
Photos:
anthonyrossitto is on a distinguished road
I need help with my 850!!!

ok a little background... 1991 850i. all stock.

1. when its cold none of the door controls work, windows, locks, not even the the windscreen wipers. im talkin like below 60F. its a huge problem because the windows dont roll down that centimeter to clear the window seals when you open the door.

2. radio amp. i have no idea where to get one/ how to install it. the radio works, you can hear it when the car is off and everything is silent but after that you cant hear anything.

i know these will probably be incredibly expensive problems but i was hoping i could find someone with similar issues that could give me a little insight.

thanks alot!
anthony
anthonyrossitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
I would say its your battery 99%, as for where the amp is I will get back to you on that,but it could also be battery related.As in the cold if the battery is old it will drain out overnight.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!

Last edited by marti5; 11-04-2009 at 11:23 AM.
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
i dont think its a battery problem. i checked last night and both batteries are relatively new. plus the engine starts perfectly every day.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Well that's weird as you say it only happens when its cold out......which obviously points to a drain on the batteries due to cold, it wont be a relay as there will be more than one for evreything thats going on....I will have to have a think about this one...

So its all fine above 60f ???

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
ya! the locks, windows and wipers are all perfect after it gets warm. its a weird situation. sometimes the car will realize its mistake, trying to roll the windows in accordince with the opening of the door, but its unsuccessfull until about ten min into the process. if it realizes the windows need to be moved it makes a whine noise followed by a sharp mechanical click, which appears to be coming from the trunk. its like a 15sec whine and then it stops and starts in like another 15sec. until the windows finally move. i would suspect a frozen seal or something but its not freezing temp, and the door locks dont work with the clicker. thats whats really got me baffled. you can unlock the doors manually but i have had instances where it has set off the alarm. which is incredibly difficult to turn off because the clicker doesnt work! haha i appreciate your help!!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
When was the last time you changed the battery in the fob/clicker.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Hmmmmm. prob never! hahah im going to change that out immediately. but again the clicker works fine when its warm out and the windows are functioning
Old 11-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
If your sure thats ok, then we are back to one of the batteries is playing up, which one I dont know......it all points to low voltage when cold as it works fine in the warm so it has to be a faulty battery.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
I know its kinda late, but its your general module (GM II).

Its the module with a white, black and yellow connector on it under your dashboard kick panel. I just finished refurbing mine. Same exact problem, its a problem with the capacitors as they get old they don't hold a charge any longer during cold. You have to replace 5 caps internally and all those problems will 100% disappear. It requires taking apart the lower dash and soldering/desoldering caps on a PCB. Or just buying a new module for ~$500.

P/n is "61 35 6 957 038"
Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
wow thanks alot! ill def. look into that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper