I just bought a 95 740iL - overheated - advice? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 08:11 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Elenar is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation I just bought a 95 740iL - overheated - advice?

Hi.

I just bought a 95 740iL. It has done 153000 miles. I drove from Essex to Liverpool, when I got there, the guy told me it had no record of previous services. I had to buy it, since I already drove there.

After only 30 miles, the power steering reservoir was empty. I don't know how full it was originally. I used an oild close to the viscosity of Auto transmission fluid tokeep it going. After 220 miles, I was back in London. It overheated 3 times in traffic. Luckily not into the red, but it got hot.

So, now, after 2 days I am worried. Did I buy a lemon? Could the incorrect p/s fluid have caused it or is it a cooling fan problem?

Also, the OBC Tv goes off after the engine has warmed up. The radio it controls as well as the other OBC functions still work via steering stalks and buttons. Is this problem related to the TV software or hardware and can I fix it?

The engine runs smoothly, which makes me think the Nikasil problem has been adressed.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I love the car and it would be great if I could sort these things out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:26 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Try having the coolant overflow tank replaced, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a water pump, thermostat, and radiator hose replacement done too, with a full flush of the cooling system. If you do replace the water pump, make sure you get a metal impeller pump, and try to get the aluminum thermostat housing too.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 06:06 PM
n00b

Elenar is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the reply. Do you think the things you mentioned will cost a lot of money?
#4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Its a 7 series.

#5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:53 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenar
Thank you for the reply. Do you think the things you mentioned will cost a lot of money?

In terms of US$, I wouldn't expect to pay more than $500 to my local BMW guy for all of that. However, I don't know how it would be in the UK; when I lived there, I didn't have a car, being a poor grad student :-)

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper