Help... Shopping for a 2001 740 IL - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2004, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fivestring is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

... I could use any and all help i can get with this one... this being my first BMW, i am a bit apprehensive... what are the more frequently found issues on this model? am i to look for something else? thanks...
fivestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bschaber is an unknown quantity at this point
Not alot of help for you but after all my shopping I found that the 01 is not worth the extra dough. Find a 99 or 2000 with lower miles. I DID find these notes on common problems but nothing reflects the newer ones that body style hopefully because there are none. Not much help on this site though is there?

Trouble Spots

Air conditioner: The air conditioning may leak and one of the hoses was being replaced whenever the vehicle was in for routine service. (1995-96)
Automatic transmission: The automatic transmission will malfunction, and eventually fail, if the wrong transmission fluid is added. (1995)

Dashboard lights: The oil warning light may come on due to a faulty oil pressure switch. (1995-96)

Odometer: The trip odometer resets itself after about 650 miles. (1995-98)

Paint/body: Using the jack bends the rocker panel on 740i models and the jacks were being replaced whenever the car was in for other service. (1995)

Poor transmission shift: The transmission will not shift out of third gear if there is a difference in tire sizes caused by low air pressure, mismatched tires, etc. (1997)

Power seats: The power seats fail due to wires being chafed underneath the seat. (1995-98)
bschaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
lml99740 is an unknown quantity at this point
Having lived with a 99-740i Sport Package, model for the last 5 years I would encourage you to proceed with some caution on used purchases. Basic rules apply here, know the service history and inspect carefully. Stay away from an accident-repaired vehicle. I advised friends to consider a CPO model from a dealer with the 100k warranty; you will use the warranty on this car.

The vehicle is the top of the food chain for big luxury sedans. At 94K miles mine looks and drives like it was new. A Lexus does not hold up as well on the performance and feel but this model is no Lexus when it comes to repairs. You can expect tires to go quickly (every 25K miles), power steering hoses every two years, O2 sensors, sunroof wind noise, hood sensor and coolant level sensor to name a few. Brake rotors cannot be turned and must be replaced every other pad change. Little things can be costly, but the power train on this car has been flawless. I budget about $2K / year to keep it in top condition, and I do yearly fluid changes (brake, coolant).

I plan to drive it at least another 100K miles. There are just no other cars in its class that match the drive and performance. My only concern is the transmission life span. It is “sealed” with lifetime fluid. You will find varying opinions on if fluid changes should be attempted. If the transmission goes, the expense will be significant (mine shows no signs of wear, so far).

This car is one very safe, high performance vehicle. If you get a true sports package model beyond 99 you get stiffer, shorter springs, M parallel wheels, shadow line trim and a quicker differential, plus better seats. Happy hunting
lml99740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
gm3mtm is an unknown quantity at this point
Very expensive to maintain and always breaking down.
gm3mtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper