Help A Noob Out - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2005, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
96740il is an unknown quantity at this point
hello all. my problem is that i have a 1996 740il (pre-ausil) that i am having some problems with. i had the motor rebuild about 1200-1500 miles ago and now the car seems like its down on power every once in awhile. took it to a european repair shop here and was told that one of my cat. conv. is clogged therefore causing my car to run on 6 cyl. i was also told that the previous owner rigged the check engine light to somehow not come on and thats why this problem did not set the light. is any of this plausible? i would like to know before i put more money into this vehicle. ghead thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
yes it is very plausible. Clogged cats are somewhat common on these cars, and thy can cause misfires and other problems. Sounds like the old owner removed the bulb for the check engine lamp or something...thats not good...Id have the shop fix that too.

DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper