Originally Posted by SoCal750iL
There are no bolts on or in the balancer but thanks for tryin. The E38 Model w/ the M73 Motor Water Pump is such a pain and different from other models.
Check out page 20 of 31 http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/d...eplacement.pdf
• Remove the belts by undoing the tensioners
• Remove the water pump pulley
• Remove the crankshaft bolt and harmonic dampener
Warning: The crankshaft bolt is very difficult to remove. My experience required the
following efforts to remove the bolt:
• Locked the crank by locking teeth on the flywheel at the transmission
• Heating the bolt to red hot
• Soaking the bolt with a penetrant after heating.
• Using a 24” break bar with an additional 48” cheater bar
• 600+ ft/lbs torque wrench.