BMW Werkz banner

Having some problems. e32 740il

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  iana 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 e32 740il, I had this car for a long time and it runs fine, but two days ago a noticed a smell coming from under the hood. I can't identify the smell, it is not oil or gas??? The car is running fine, no power reduction or overheating, all of the sensors tell me that the weather is good??? Can some one help? Thanks.

Oh yea I live in Vegas so it is really hot (110F+).

#2 ·
Is it a kinda sweet smell? it is probably coolant... check coolant level fill to the line and check it in a couple days... mostlikly a small coolant leak....

#3 ·
I do have a very small coolant leak at the back of the motor, but I check my coolant every day and it is not leaking bad. I have to add some every half a year. Could this be coolant that is just being cooked on the block, because of the Vegas heat. I ran my car at night so the air is cooler for the same time and the smell was not there.

#4 ·
Smell

I had a '88 750 and it had a coolant leak from the hoses under the expansion tank, and the block was hot enough to burn the coolant down and create a smell (this was in SE Virginia, not Vegas heat), keep an eye on the leak, if a hose blows you are dead in the water

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.