1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini CooperGeneral Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.
I'm also looking at buying a 2001 740 (i or iL) and want to make sure I'm getting a real Sport version, not a "mock-up". I'd like to avoid having a dealer pull the VIN if possible for all the cars I look at.
It doesn't look like the European Anthracite Headliner test applies to the U.S. versions. I've listed the identifying characteristics I've come across online that can be checked during a quick inspection and test drive:
- 18" parallel-spoke rims
- Shadowline exterior trim
- Redwood interior trim
- M version 3-spoke steering wheel (740i only)
- Contour sport seats (740i only)
- Steptronic transmission (740i only) - check by inspection of gear shifter
- Lower final drive gear (740i only) - will have higher RPM than non-sport at highway speeds
- Sport suspension (740i only) - check by ride feel?
- Electronic damping control (740iL only) - should have a control switch?
Any corrections or additions to this list would be greatly appreciated.
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.