Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Making Sure 2001 740 is a Sport
I'm also looking at buying a 2001 740 (i or iL) and want to make sure I'm getting a real Sport version, not a "mock-up". I'd like to avoid having a dealer pull the VIN if possible for all the cars I look at.
It doesn't look like the European Anthracite Headliner test applies to the U.S. versions. I've listed the identifying characteristics I've come across online that can be checked during a quick inspection and test drive:
- 18" parallel-spoke rims
- Shadowline exterior trim
- Redwood interior trim
- M version 3-spoke steering wheel (740i only)
- Contour sport seats (740i only)
- Steptronic transmission (740i only) - check by inspection of gear shifter
- Lower final drive gear (740i only) - will have higher RPM than non-sport at highway speeds
- Sport suspension (740i only) - check by ride feel?
- Electronic damping control (740iL only) - should have a control switch?
Any corrections or additions to this list would be greatly appreciated.