Fuel Leaking!!(Fuel tank) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chungaa1 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Found a leak in a 740il (1995).. (Fuel Tank)
Please tell me if it's worth the effort/time/money to repair this? How much would it cost? How would they fix it/weld?/use a special bonding material? is it safe?? (i have kids) or if anyone can send me a link for an establishment that has used/new ones for a reasonable price.....
Best Regards,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 03:05 AM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
Eric,

tahts a pretty tough question, but i think you really need to get it looked at by a professional. as a younger person, ductape is all i need to fix that problem, but with kids, another story all together..

it really depends on where and how big the leak is.

YES you do need to get that fixed. have you ever seen the cartoon where Yosemeite Sam goes away with a keg of black powder in his pants and Bugs Bunny puts a match to the black powder trail he has left behind?????

its kind of like that......
as for price, im not sure, but it is worth it!!! shop around, ask lots of questions, and find someone you trust. maybe call the dealer on this one just to get some advice and find out what they would do with a specific leak.

maybe it will need to be welded, (which means dropping/draining/cleaning the tank....$$$$ or it might be a hose gasket, easy fix, or the tank might be rusting out from the inside which needs replacing.

Good luck.
Mark
#3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 10:49 AM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
They may end up having to replace the tank...BMW fuel tanks are made out of Polyethelyne which makes them unweldable...If it were me, and especially since you have children, take it to a local BMW Center and have a BMW professional check it out...just to be on the safe side!!

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Back in the day (more like 6-7 years ago) when I lived in Europe and we had a crappy Moskvich (Is that how it's spelled ? anyway... a crappy russian automibe that weighed 2 tons and had 74hp), which also had a leaking fuel tank.

I don't remember what the stuff was called, but it was like a sprakly see-through Polyester stuff (I believe) that you just basically painted the tank with... never leaked after that. I'll ask my dad if he remembers what the stuff was later.

#5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi everyone,
thanks for all of the great feedback and detailed info!
Interestingly enough, above the thread was an advertisement/link on how to repair a tank from the inside/outside.. (the process is pretty interesting)
I'll try to find a known good one from the wrecking yard/junk yard... i think thats the best way.... Later on i will do more research on how much a new or used one will cost... Also if u guys know a good link to send me that would be great.. Don't want to get ripped off on this one,, i've heard of astronomical prices of 500~1200 US dollars.. (thats insane)
Best Regards,
Eric
#6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
(fyi) new tank cost~$800 dollars

labor=$140/hour@4hour total time job

and all of that means. insane!!!!!

i have decided that i will be patient, and find (with your help) (please) a used/new known good tank with no issues.. i will do all of the labor myself..

it involves driveshaft/exhaust removal. and some misc. vent hose/main fuel line hose removal,etc,etc.....

in summary, please help me find an online/local/etc.. place that has this tank....
again it's for a 1995 (740il)

once i get all the parts i will tell u the total cost and manhours it takes

thanks in advance,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper