Front Brake Clip issue? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 AM
42, The meaning of life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Front Brake Clip issue?

I have been experiencing a squeal from the front right brake caliper which on inspection turned out to be coming from the disc making contact with the fingers on brake clip (part 3) RealOEM.com BMW E38 740iL Front wheel brake-Brake pad sensor
The fingers appear to have folded away from the caliper and been scouring the disc surface. Has anyone ever seen or experienced this before, or have any explainations about the cause?
What is the function of this clip (I am assuming that isn't to scour the disc surface. )

Riding in style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
I have been experiencing a squeal from the front right brake caliper which on inspection turned out to be coming from the disc making contact with the fingers on brake clip (part 3) RealOEM.com BMW E38 740iL Front wheel brake-Brake pad sensor
The fingers appear to have folded away from the caliper and been scouring the disc surface. Has anyone ever seen or experienced this before, or have any explainations about the cause?
What is the function of this clip (I am assuming that isn't to scour the disc surface. )
Hey! Brettski.......I am betting it just came loose, it is a brake pad retaining/anti-rattle clip........I guess with age they lose their tension.......& come loose.

http://www.bmwpartsweb.com/BMW-Parts...TE-E38740.aspx

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-04-2010 at 11:00 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
So I should replace this clip then? It doesn't seem to make contact with the pad at all, but its a little hard to see the face of the pad and disc clearly.

What brand of replacement disc should I be looking at? The disc has got a reasonable scour in the outside face, but still plenty of undamaged face to grip onto.

Riding in style
#4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
So I should replace this clip then? It doesn't seem to make contact with the pad at all, but its a little hard to see the face of the pad and disc clearly.

What brand of replacement disc should I be looking at? The disc has got a reasonable scour in the outside face, but still plenty of undamaged face to grip onto.
Yes replace the clip, if the scarring is not that bad, maybe just have the rotor (disc) turned down, (cut)

ATE & BALO to name a couple, Autohausaz.com & TurnerMotorsport.com carry them..........ESC Tuning carry The UUC plain brake rotors.

BMW E38 740iL M62 4.4L > Search > Rotor > ES#1895885 PLAIN FRONT - OEROTORF1251PLAI

good luck,
brettski

jb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper