E38 Sport Transmission Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:21 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oracleman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy

BMW Enthusiast,

I need feedback, I have a problem. A Big problem!!!

I just purchased a 2000 740i Sport w/ a few Dinan enhancements early last year.
The car now has 74,000 miles on it and my transmission does not go in reverse all of the sudden.

I took it to the dealership and they said the transmission was malfunctioning and it needs to be replaced. The cost for the transmission alone was $5,000.00 excluding labor!

The 740 had a 4 year 50,000mile warranty on the car which ended Feb. 2, 2004. The dealership said they cannot do anything about it and it was up to BMW customer service. I called BMW customer service and they turned me around as if I was selling life insurance to the individuals in the company. (They said the car was not under warranty)

What makes this hard to swallow is that the car has been maintained by a BMW dealership. I have all service records and Oil changes verifiable on the BMW service computers. So I did my part! This transmission should not be dying at 74,000 miles!!!!!! Even the BMW dealership says that is not a common problem.

Is this out of character or what?

Any advice? And no, I did not attempt to make any type of modifications on any component of the car.

The distraught,
William J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:29 AM
n00b

oracleman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Angry

This is my 2nd BMW I use to own an 95 840. I purchased the BMW again because of all the rave reviews, and because it was a sturdy vehicle and didnt think there would be any large repair cost as long as I did the services. Go Figure!!

Back at cha,
William J.

#3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 05:51 PM
n00b

TonyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Number 1 Do not take this lying down. Write to the CEO of BMW USA mark the letter "Private and Confidential "and tell him in no uncertain ways how upset you feel in that the Beemer has let you down just out of warranty.

Number 2 If you get no joy contact the ZF gearbox company in the USA and ask them for your local repair agent. Get a quote from them because I guarantee that the BMW garage would take your gearbox to them to repair anyway and would then just double the cost and charge you.......... I have seen this and its a great source of amusement to the BMW service people

Believe me I have had a host of problems with BMW 740 engine and gearbox combo and the local techies here havent a clue, any problems they just swap components hoping to solve the problem or they take the car to a subcontractor who knows what they are doing......

The above is now why got rid of my BMW 5 series and I now drive a Jaguar and am loving it...........

Cheers,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper