Dumb Question of the day! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jeff_in_pgh is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Dumb Question of the day!

Hi Guys!

Here's my dumb question. I've owned my 1989 735iL for about 5 months. I've never had to change a tire yet (thankfully!) but I have had the wheels balanced and rotated. I went out this morning to change the brake pads (a job I've done a million times to a million different types of cars) but I can't get the damn wheel to come off the car!! Is there some trick that I'm not seeing? I don't have a manual for the car and I haven't seen anything online about this. Am I not pulling on it hard enough? When I pull on the tire, it doesn't budge!
What am I missing? Anything?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
if it is not coming off because of the lug nuts it is very possible that the people who you took to get your tires rotated and balanced tightened your lugs with an impact wrench and it is over torqued. It happens all the time sadly to alot of different people. What i did when it happened to me was i put my factory lugnut wrench and made sure it was on there real well, and actually jumped on it to break it free. It sounds dangerous but if it is on the nut good, the factory lugs are VERY strong and wont break or strip.

If your case is that you can get the lugs off the the wheel just wont come off the hub, which is also very common, i suggest you taken a rubber mallet and from the back side of the wheel bang it very hard on the tire. If you dont have a rubber mallet a regular hammer banging on a 2 by 4 in between the wheel and the hammer will also work.

Let us know how it goes.

-salt
#3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:56 AM
n00b

jeff_in_pgh is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
No, I'm just an idiot! I used the rubber mallet on it. It popped right off. I guess it's true that if it's not electrical, you can fix it by hitting it with a hammer!
Thanks for the answer!!!

I was thinking there was some kind of tricky German wheel lock on there somewhere.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:52 AM
n00b

Beemerguy 32 is on a distinguished road
To avoid it from happening again, just put som grease around the collar of the disc. Just remember not to overdoit, grease and brakediscs dont mix..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper