Driver-side Water Leak - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kellyd is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello. I have a 1996 z3. there is a leak above the driver side window. The water is dripping from the upper corner near where the top latches and by the small side window. In an effort to stop the leak, I have replaced the convertible top and the small side window as well as the molding around the window. No luck. It has gotten progressively worse. A couple of weeks ago it was raining pretty hard and I got drenched. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions as to how to fix it?

Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
did you replace the weahter strips that go along the top edge of the driver side window, there are 2 of them per side. those can be tricky to get them to sit together just right to stop a leak. however in your owners manual it actually says that some leakage from the top in that area is normal. i'm not saying that it is a good thing or anything but alsmot all Z3's leak there. although in the manual it also says that it is only normal for the car to leak there in high water pressure situations such as car washes, and it is also possible for heavy rain to casue a leak. the window shouldn't leak if you sprayed it with a garden hose with light to medium pressure.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:16 PM
n00b

zuudbye is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 96 Z3 also and had the same problem until my friendly neighborhood BMW mechanic gave me a bottle of Rubber Care Gel Stick, by WURTH. It's in a bottle with a liquid shoe polish type foam applicator top. This stuff goes on wet and dries leaving a thin film allowing a seal to form when the gaskets make contact. I'm on my second bottle in 2 years - GREAT STUFF!! No more leaks just at the top of the windshield on the drivers side, used to have a very wet left leg. I gave 2 bottles as Christmas presents to co-workes with BMW ragtops, they swear by it now too.

Wurth part number 0893 012 8-U.
Wurth USA 1-800-526-5228
#4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 04:36 PM
n00b

Kellyd is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@Apr 19 2005, 07:00 PM
did you replace the weahter strips that go along the top edge of the driver side window, there are 2 of them per side. those can be tricky to get them to sit together just right to stop a leak. however in your owners manual it actually says that some leakage from the top in that area is normal. i'm not saying that it is a good thing or anything but alsmot all Z3's leak there. although in the manual it also says that it is only normal for the car to leak there in high water pressure situations such as car washes, and it is also possible for heavy rain to casue a leak. the window shouldn't leak if you sprayed it with a garden hose with light to medium pressure.
[snapback]335029[/snapback]
Thank you so much for the tip. I am going to try it immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper