Door On Lockdown - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
redhed is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I'm new here and still learning my way around, so please forgive if this question has been asked and answered already. I have a 1988 735i. Last week, the front passenger door wouldn't lock with the remote. My son reached over and manually pushed the lock down. Now, the door will not unlock with the remote, the key, or manually. I can't open the door at all in any way. How do I fix this? I need to be able to use my front passenger side. I tried disconnecting the negative battery cable, and then the positive, thinking it might "re-set", but no dice. Could this be a fuse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Try this. Lock the drivers door with the key, then, go to front passenger door and turn key past the 90 degree point while lifiting the door handle, this SHOULD resynchronize the locks.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 08:49 AM
n00b

redhed is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Bear@Mar 1 2005, 07:12 PM
Try this. Lock the drivers door with the key, then, go to front passenger door and turn key past the 90 degree point while lifiting the door handle, this SHOULD resynchronize the locks.
[snapback]301997[/snapback]
Thanks for the response, Bear. I tried this, but had no luck. The lock doesn't respond at all. I'm going to try replacing the fuse to the door locks and see if that helps. If not, I suppose I'll have to have the door panel taken off.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 03:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
These cars have a bad habit of having the bracket for the door lock solenoid crack and thjat allows the solenoid to get out of alignment and jam the lock mechanism.

Go to http://shrubbery.student.utwent.nl this is Sean and Johans site and they have a good tutorial on this broken bracket problem along with how to fix it. This is a site that I recommend for all of our fixes as it is done with text and digital photos.

If you wish to remove the drivers door panel, email me and I will send a text document on how to remove the inner door panel as I have done many times for a problem similar to yours.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 12:35 PM
n00b

footballbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by redhed+Mar 5 2005, 08:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redhed @ Mar 5 2005, 08:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Bear@Mar 1 2005, 07:12 PM
[snapback]301997[/snapback]
Thanks for the response, Bear. I tried this, but had no luck. The lock doesn't respond at all. I'm going to try replacing the fuse to the door locks and see if that helps. If not, I suppose I'll have to have the door panel taken off.
[snapback]304255[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Yea I don't know what to suggest eather... I knew of that trick, i dont think it will be the fuses if that didn't work because you are manually bringing the lock into the unlocked position!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper