Coolant temp sensor problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:10 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mulletman671 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Coolant temp sensor problem

Hi,
I have an 01 750iL. My speedometer went bad, so a friend of mine gave me his old cluster out of an 03 M5. I had the cluster coded to my car at the dealer. While driving home, I noticed that the temp gauge reads high and moves around a lot. Is the v8 sensor different from the v12 one and is that whats causing the problem? If so can I just buy a v8 sensor and put it in? I plugged my old cluster in and it reads normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:27 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Would it be possible for you to hard splice your sensor to the new cluster wiring, maybe?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 12:20 AM
n00b

beamers4life is on a distinguished road
I agree with witeshark trying to put a sensor from an 8 into a 12 could unleash some complications such as adaptability and whether or not it would fit. Ive done similar things. Go to your beamer dealer and go back to the parts department and get the guys back there to print you out a diagram of the sensor wiring for both your car and the car you got the dash from. The wires should be labeled according to color code on that sheet which would make splicing a breeze. If you dont have a bmw dealer nearby or you cant get them to do it for you just post the years and models of both cars and ill run down the street and get my guy to do it and ill email it to you if you would like. By the way that v12 is one sweet motor isnt it.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
The M5 will run hotter than than a 750, I would go back to the BMW dealer who coded the cluster as they havent coded it correctly, the new cluster should be synchronised to the ECU, which controls all the sensors, for some reason the temp gauge is not synchronised to the 750 ECU sensor coolant temp......

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper