Considering buying a 04 745Li - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 06:53 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Inferno272 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Considering buying a 04 745Li

Hi all,

Wanted to give you some background info, and am looking for flat out advice from people who have owned, or do own this car without the sales tactics I get at the dealership.

I'm in the price range of ~20k car. Give or take a few grand here or there. Anyway, I spent the entire day today test driving cars. After test driving the Cadillac STS, the Lexus LS430, and the Acura RL, I immediately crossed them off the list. I didn't like various things about the cars, including size, lack of trunk space, comfort, etc.

I REALLY REALLY liked the Infiniti M35/45, and am considering that, and I was shocked, despite the recall and current freeze on the car, how much I absolutely loved the Toyota Avalon.

But, the best car I tested today was the 745Li...it has pretty much everything im looking for, ridiculous comfort, ridiculous power, BEAUTIFUL exterior (WAY better looking than the Avalon or the M), and a trusted name.

However, here's the thing. While I can afford 20k for the car, what I can't afford is to pay 20k for a car, and have to pay like im maintaining a 75k car...if that makes any sense? Yes, i know this is an expensive car, and expensive cars cost more to maintain, but from the reviews and such that I have read, BMW's are very expensive to maintain, AND are constantly in the shop. Is this true? what are you guys spending, on average, to maintain this car? I'm looking at about 70,000 miles, give or take. The thing is, while I could afford this car, I most definitely can't afford to be spending 5-6 grand a year on maintenence, and that's the number i've been reading all over the inter-tubes.

any thoughts on the M35/45 or the Avalon? I like the Avalon in that it is big, has most of the features i'm looking for, gets great gas mileage, doesnt have to use supreme gas, and, is much cheaper than the bimmer, meaning I could probably get a newer one, with fewer miles for the same price...

The thing that scares me the most though, is this...

http://www.forbes.com/2005/07/01/cx_...thisSpeed=6000

Last edited by Inferno272; 01-29-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Regardless of the price you pay for the 745, it will demand the maintenance costs of a $75,000 car. You should know this to begin with.

A lot of the poor reliability ratings in magazines, etc., are related to the electrical gizmos. These cars are well-built and can last a long time, but they do require proper maintenance, and parts are more expensive than those for American or Asian cars.

It really doesn't sound like the 7 is a car that will fit your budget, in my opinion.

One of my buddies used to work an an Infiniti dealership and loved the handling and responsiveness of the M, but always made a general comment that Infinitis are great cars, but they seem built to break after the warranty expires. I am guessing maintenance costs would be based on keeping up a $60k car.

You can save a lot of money if you work on teh car yourself, but I don't know how DIY-friendly the cars in your short list are, nor how handy you are.

Good luck!

#3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM
n00b

beamers4life is on a distinguished road
Well let me just put it to you this way buddy. Yes they are expensive to maintain sometimes deathly expensive. However I am sold on the name for life. The third word i said to my parents was beamer. I truly believe that BMW is the best automaker in the entire world. Just the way that the car is engineered and designed is incredible and unsurpassed. I have a 1990 bmw 735il that belonged to my mother who drove it for 210,000 miles and had to change the brakes twice the battery once and tires 4 times. And of course oil changes etc. This is minimal maintenance for this many miles. I drive the car daily today and still compare it above anything new on the road today. Yes i have had to do more maintenance to it to achieve 250,000 miles and well surpassed its worth of 2000 dollars in replacement parts but i believe it was well worth it. These cars are made to last and serve the car enthusiast for decades. And no i do not work at a dealership even though it would be nice. On a short note: 04 is a great year for the seven series, it gave bmw plenty of time to work out kinks and recalls for that particular body style of bmw, if you dont end up with that 04 just stay away from 02 seven series they had a big tendency of having numerous annoying and costly electrical and technology failures.
Keep us posted
beamers4life
#4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:41 PM
n00b

Ashot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ashot
well buddy, i myself am a new owner of a 745li. heres the deal with these cars, yes they are amazing and maybe the only car better is the s class, but not the infinity even though it is a good car. (i worked valet for 2 years , trust me i know). 745 had major problems in the 02-03, seems like bmw just didn't get the i-drive system right. but after 04 and up it seems like the glitches that were causing all the problems were some what fixed. I got my car for 15k, and knew that i dnt have anymore to spent on it extra, so was and am prepared to do the work myself (plus i enjoy working on cars), even though and oil change runs me about 100 plus dollars i dnt mind, knowing the cars is all solid is a good feeing when ur speeding around ur town or some mountains. overall advice from me to you is this, dnt rush into buying a 7, do ur research, make sure the car is solid and the engine bay is dry (no oil leaks, or coolant) dnt spend more then 22k is it has 75000ml. check the papaer work and DO NOT BUY 002-03 models only 04 and up. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper